Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a Happy 4th

I hope you all find a way to enjoy this coming 4th
    As we celebrate, a cautionary vigilance should also be maintained in our thoughts, as to how fragile our freedoms and fortunes are if not properly managed. If you can, make an effort to incorporate a Studebaker into your flag celebration.
    As a confession, I must disclose that I have not done my part this year. Between nursing home visits to help attend to my Mother, my wife's health issues, attending to household chores...my vehicles have languished in the man cave. Also, as spring approached, I planted a substantial garden. (For me, as instinctual as salmon to spawning grounds.)

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Agreed! And let's be safe this 4th!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Very nice thoughts. We live in a country that's free and prosporous enough that you can make mistakes and recover. We can laugh at our leaders as we take full advantage of "free" speech. I've traveled all over the world for business and pleasure and I'm still struck at how nice it feels when I come home. In a lot of cases people (including-me-at-times) get too tied up with our day to day troubles to think about good we have it; as often stated, "no matter what plans you have, life happens."
      Murray
      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Thanks, John, and I wish everyone here a happy and safe 4th !!!

Comment

Thanks John,and a Safe and Happy 4th back to you. Here's a rerun of last years 4th at my place, and a proud shot of Haleigh.
          OOPS! Haleigh is Sideways! How did that happen?
          Attached Files
          Neil Thornton

Comment

'MERICA!
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

John- Nicely said. I admit to often/usually being in the same boat as you when it comes to my Studes. In fact, I often have trouble getting through a tankful of gas before it goes bad. I both envy and resent those folks whose lives are so well organized that they always have time to drive their old cars and still take care of sick relatives, home sales/purchases, natural catastrophes, etc. as well as do the laundry, house cleaning, and grocery shopping.

WRT Independence Day: Every July 4 (July 3 this year), the NPR morning news show staff reads the Declaration of Independence in its entirety. And every year I am struck by three thoughts: (1) Patriotism; (2) Those guys were REALLY mad at King George III; and (3) Nobody writes that well any more. WRT #3: you come close.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                John- Nicely said. I admit to often/usually being in the same boat as you when it comes to my Studes. In fact, I often have trouble getting through a tankful of gas before it goes bad. I both envy and resent those folks whose lives are so well organized that they always have time to drive their old cars and still take care of sick relatives, home sales/purchases, natural catastrophes, etc. as well as do the laundry, house cleaning, and grocery shopping.

WRT Independence Day: Every July 4 (July 3 this year), the NPR morning news show staff reads the Declaration of Independence in its entirety. And every year I am struck by three thoughts: (1) Patriotism; (2) Those guys were REALLY mad at King George III; and (3) Nobody writes that well any more. WRT #3: you come close.
                Thanks Skip. And to all who have offered comments. As a note to update since my initial post. Sometimes...when a series of events converge to dampen my spirits, I feel a little guilty for chasing my selfish passions (like tinkering around with these old vehicles). The last time I had driven my Studebaker truck to the nursing home, it was running poorly. It was also a time my mother was weak, and I was afraid she wouldn't recover. That evening, I limped the truck into the shed, closed the door, and walked away from it. Pretty much thinking it was also suffering from some age related serious terminal problem. In view of other issues...that "old" truck wasn't as important as other things needing my attention.

Mother rallied, and, although as fragile as you might expect for a 94 year old, she is doing much better. Yesterday morning, after dispatching a few more wasp nests. I finally managed to put "one" new spark plug in the cylinder I had diagnosed as not firing. The little truck fired up immediately, and sat there and hummed as happy as a honeybee in spring clover. I backed it out, spent about an hour blasting away dirt dauber nests, wasp nests, and spider webs. Yesterday evening, our church motorcycle ministry was having an anniversary dinner at a local restaurant. Since it was threatening rain, I decided to drive my truck to the gathering.(And not the motorcycle) The restaurant was about a 15 mile drive, just off the interstate. Like a toy being "rediscovered" by a child, I had a fantastic time bouncing down the road in my 1955 relic. Even better, was finding an "up-front" parking space, and getting seated inside where I could keep an eye on my Studebaker. (No separation anxiety)

The whole time we were there, there was a constant parade of folks stopping to take pictures and check out the truck, with the little matching "Peddle Truck" mounted in the bed. I've had this truck long enough to remember when it was just another "old" truck that hardly elicited a glance. My church friends were astounded at the crowd the little truck attracted. (They've seen it often) But, for me, even better was when I got ready to leave, it fired right up and carried me safely home. I almost feel a little bad about letting it set so long from such a small problem. Even if I don't get it out for the holiday, (I'll still try) I feel I've already done my part to keep our marque from fading.

As I type this, I've just returned from the nursing home. I carried mom some home cooked vegetables from my garden. There's a little daylight left, I might just go out and fire up another Studebaker that has sat too long.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, i thank you for your words in the thread (with the other posters)!!! as a youngster (60 yrs old) but with health issues and other problems, i've put my '51 on the back burner for awhile.

this is the inspiration i need to get over my various problems and "fix things" - the '51 and whatever needs to be done to go forward! (a little Avanti lingo there).

my parents passed last decade, but i have a great daughter going for her Doctorate and a 1 year old granddaughter that i was fortunate enough to attend her first birthday celebration. i hope to see my granddaughter graduating from high school and more.

i'm even forgiving the neighbors shooting off fireworks (illegal in NC) bought in SC a day early. i was hoping to go to bed early tonight...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I thought I heard some fireworks in front of my house,but when I went out to see...all was dark. Maybe it was a drive by shooting! If so... They missed.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Happy 4th to all our American friends from us in Canada!

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thank you Stu! I always appreciate our fantastic neighbors up north, and across the pond, and down under!
                        If King George had handled things a bit better...who knows?
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Just got home from the Carmel Indiana "Carmelfest Parade" There were 30 classic cars, and 46 WWII Veterans all as "CO-Grand Marshalls" All I can say is WOW! I was "told" that the Carmel Parade was the 2nd largest parade in Indiana, only to the Indy 500 Festival Parade, my best guess is somewhere between 40-60,000 people lining the streets! As the WWII Veterans came by, they stood, clapped and yelled thanks to them!
                          Had a great time, and I'll be doing it again next year!

Happy Independence Day to all, Please stop and reflect WHY we celebrate this day! Also be sure to Thank a Veteran for his or her service.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Well...just a few minutes left in the holiday. From the comments, looks like many found various ways to enjoy, celebrate, and observe. Just thought I'd add a few thoughts before walking out to see how my little dwarf goat kids are doing after all the racket from the fireworks. Much of the noise has died down and even the poodle is calm now.

Turns out that the rain subsided enough for me to make the drive to the nursing home in my Studebaker truck today. My wife, who is suffering back pain again, managed to whip up her homemade peach ice-cream mix. I made a run for some ice. Retrieved the churn from storage, set it up, and got it going. While it was doing its magic, I pulled the '51 Land Cruiser out of the barn and gave it a bath. While I had both the Land Cruiser and truck out...I rigged up a motion detector to turn on a fan in the barn. I hope this arrangement will deter the barn cats from using the Studes for beds.

Earlier in the day, I had to make a grocery run. Grocery runs are not on my favorite things list. In fact, I got to feeling rather blue during and after that chore. However, the ice cream, playing with the Studes, helped to restore my spirits. Living on a hill has some benefits. Although miles away, I get to see various free fireworks shows. No parking fees, long walks lugging lawn chairs. I get to sit right here in my recliner, relax, and console the worried poodle (not a fireworks fan).

All in all, a pretty good 4th of July. Free to drive, free to celebrate, even free to complain or get a little blue. One thing about those fireworks off in the distance. I recall a similar experience, long ago, in a far away place, when similar celebratory fireworks were exploding. But, unlike the quiet as this day is approaching midnight...what had been a holiday celebration began to morph into something else. The colored fireworks, exploding in star-bursts, changed to violent concussive explosions, then tracer rounds, and mortars. It was the beginning of what is now known as the "Tet Offensive."

Yep...this has been a good day.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for posting this, John. What a great group of folks we have here! And what a great country we live in.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X