Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatrace 2015: Studebaker finishes fifth overall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatrace 2015: Studebaker finishes fifth overall!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1748080Our 1964 Daytona hardtop ran Greatrace 2015 from St. Louis to Santa Monica via sections of old Route 66. For those of you not familiar with GR, it is a time-speed-distance precision rally for pre '72 cars held on secondary roads across the US. Each day will have 5 timed sections: the goal is to hit each checkpoint at the exact time you are supposed to. You can learn more at Greatrace.com. This photo is at the finish on Santa Monica pier. The race ended yesterday, June 28th. It took 9 days.

Name:	joshua tree.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1748081 This shot was taken by Greatrace media in Joshua Tree National Park, between 29 Palms and Palm Springs, CA. Yes, it was hot! We are 'on the clock' maintaining a precise 35 mph at this spot.

Name:	Oatman road.jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1748082 On the grade to Oatman, Arizona. The speed was 15 mph, and the 426 Hemi Dodge could only manage 12, so we had to pass him at 3 mph.

You can watch a You Tube highlight video here: we are in it, as well as a '55 President:

We finished in fifth place overall, out of 117 entrants. We won $7500.00.

A lot of SI members came out to see us at the various stops, which we thank them all for doing.

Steve Hedke

That looks like great fun. I think I need to put this on my bucket list.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice job Steve and crew!
      ...and thanks for taking the time to pose in Kirkwood.
      Gary Krautmann

Comment

Excellent, Steve; those are cool beans indeed.

Finishing fifth overall in The Great Race is a terrific accomplishment. My limited "running" in the race as a non-participant passenger taught me a good deal about how downright difficult it is to be competitive in that event, so copious congratulations are in order.

Well-played. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great video! SDCers on the forum, take the time to watch it.

Whose blue and white 1955 President(?) Coupe appears at 4:20 and then several places thereafter?

Check out the R-series truck at the abandoned gas station in Winslow AZ at 5:37....not exactly "standing on the corner," though!

Great footage of Steve's '64 Daytona coming at you at 6:18.

Good stuff all around; what a mobile show. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congratulations, having been in it before that is a great accomplishment. Your raw score was better the four of the participants that were ahead of you including the winner.
            Stuart Tritt

Comment

The 55 is a veteran of other races I was lucky enough to see a Great Race stop over in Placerville CA a few years back it was there. Took my gal with me she was blown away haveing had no idea what it was or how big it is. So if you get a chance go see the race in person.

Comment

Congratulations Steve. Great job! Brings back memories of our Studebaker rally days in the 60s.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Congrats Steve! You would have driven past our winter residence in Topock Arizona. We've done the Oatman run many times as it's just up the road from our place(complete with the token burros). This event really should be a bucket list must.
                  Bill

Comment

Name:	IMG_1698[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1699100 Here they are, together at the San Bernardino overnight stop. The '55 President is rallied by Annagret Reichmann (driver) and Uli Kammholz, out of Portland Oregon. They are veterans of several GR rallies.

Comment

Congrat's. That is an accomplishment for you and Studebaker. When I was much younger, I ran and placed well in many rallies, so I understand the difficulty in accomplishing this. Your rally should be written up for Turning Wheels so that this can be more widespread in the Studebaker world. Of course, press in the non-Studebaker world is even more important (IMO).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very cool, CONGRATS!
                        JS
                        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Reichmann and Kammholz finished finished 11th, a very respectable showing and not far at all out of the top 10.

Name:	IMG_1681[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1699103

Comment

Gary is correct, Steve... Please submit your story to Ann for use in TURNING WHEELS! (Don't forget some choice photos.)

Comment

Congratulations!
                              Mark L

Comment

Working...
                              X