Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in engines

I just received my PO's for my 61 Hawk and the 62 Champ. I noticed the 7E
    has a late model 289 car engine #P92716 (63 started with 93000). Question: what
    is the difference between the truck and car engines? Thanks

Probably nothing internally, but some external items (eg,water pump manifolds) may be different. However, all these truck-specific items will bolt up to a car engine. In addition, Stude built a HD version of the 289 for installation in trucks. These have a cloverleaf symbol on the engine number pad and engine numbers that start with 6E.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Champ V8's have a Car Water Manifold, Thermostat Housing and Top Radiator Hose. The Heads are usually the Low Compression 7.5 to 1, 970? Heads and they May only have one Valve Cover with the Oil filler pipe and Cap on the right.

I don't think Champs used the Carb. heat spacer block on the 2 Brl's. like "C" Cabs so the the Heads would be about it.

Champs use a Car Intake Manifold with the Coil Mounting unlike "C" Cabs.

If you were swapping one, you would change the front Engine Mount Brackets and the Clutch or Converter Housing and Mounts (with Dial-in) and you are good to go.

Looks like you are going to have TOO much power with that Car 289, better drag the Brakes a little!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-26-2015, 10:19 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 7E Champ has the original engine. The oil fill pipe stands in the middle/front of the engine while both valve covers do not have breathers. Although it has a full flow engine it came with the optional partial flow filter mounted on the fill pipe. There is a block off plate where the full flow filter mounts. Champ truck engines also had the aluminum cam gear. Other than that they were basically the same as the engines in cars as Rich described.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

HI Warren, it is your Truck so you should know best how it was built, but what this sounds to me like is a Full Flow Replacement Engine that was installed in a early '62 Champ with a partial flow engine. That would explain the no Oil Cap Valve Covers and Filler pipe with bi-pass Oil Filter and full-low block off plate.

If it has matching numbers to the Production Order I would look at the Width of the Font used to stamp it, otherwise we will have to get the Riverside County Sheriff's CSI's on the case!

Another clue is Many Replacement Engines Had Aluminum Cam Gears, and Production Std. Truck Engines did not, unless ordered with the Heavy Duty Engine: Serial # Prefix 5E =259 or 6E =289 which included H.D. Rods, Mains and Perfect Circle RotoCap Valve Rotators.

On the other hand, the truth is; when it comes to Trucks they were not all built to "Eng. Design" as the Cars were. They were about as "Hand Built" as you can get on a slow Assembly Line and a lot more than Cars were "Special Ordered", so things did not always happen as and when Planned.

That and the fact that they were always built in a separate Plant made with different year end "Line Shutdowns" or maybe year model change time is a better statement (it is not clear that they ever stopped) that explains why the dates of installation of Engines in trucks does not match the Engine Changes at the Engine plant designed around the Car Year Model changes.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X