James Bond and Studebaker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Bond and Studebaker...

While in the grocery store with my wife, I picked up a magazine from Hollywood Icons called "The Best of Bond...The World of 007 from Dr. No to Spectre. It covers every actor who portrayed Bond as well as every Bond movie made.

There's also a chapter on Bond's creator, Ian Fleming..."The Mastermind Behind Bond". It discusses his life...both personal and professional.

In discussing his personal life, Fleming's official biographer Jon Gilbert was quoted about Fleming's love of cars..."He was also rather flamboyant with his cars. He owned several exotic imported vehicles such as a Ford Thunderbird, an AC Aceca Coupe and a Studebaker Avanti."

While I wouldn't think of a Ford Thunderbird as "exotic", I guess to the biographer or Europeans in general of that time period, the Thunderbird and Avanti might qualify as such. Still...it's gratifying to see the Avanti getting some positive mention in a mainstream kind of publication.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Fleming also created the character Felix Leiter in the Bond novels. At one point, Leiter drove a '53 Studillac in "Diamonds Are Forever".

See http://flemingsbond.com/studillac/
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Neat stuff...had no idea of that. Thanks for the info and knowing that Ian Fleming was more knowledgeable about cars than most of us knew.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

At one point in Goldfinger Felix takes a left in traffic (in his thunderbird) and crosses in front of a lark....
        64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
        Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
        X