Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1931 Studebaker President Roadster significant in kidnapping, murder and lynching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Studebaker President Roadster significant in kidnapping, murder and lynching

Click image for larger version

Name:	31 pres rdstr hart car copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1747092
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

What happened? Tell us the story, or enough info to find it, ourselves. How much is a top notch roadster like that one worth today? They have seemed to be very popular at most Studebaker events where they're present.

Comment

I found the story in wikipedia. It is very interesting. It seems like a situation that you might expect to see in a movie about life in the southeastern United States back in that era. A very similar story is "The Murder of Mary Phagan" which is based on a true murder story in Atlanta in 1912. I like to think the carriage in the movie was a Stidebaker.

Comment

Sam; The most comprehensive coverage of the event was in a 1992 book by Harry Farrell called Swift Justice. http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Justice-.../dp/0312089015 I have the book but have loaned it out to a friend. The episode was made into a movie in the mid '30s though I have never seen it. Wonder if they used a Studebaker in the film? A restored '31 President roadster sold for $125,000 recently.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
        X