Studebakers in Cuba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers in Cuba

My wife was looking through her recent copies of Architectural Digest & came across an article on Cuba.
    On page 118 of the May issue is a pic of a bright red bullet nosed 4 door Stude. The contents are probably copyrighted so can't post the shot. But it may be safe to quote the line:
    "Wide-hipped jewel-tone American cars of midcentury vintage cruise palm-lined avenues like exotic fish"
    (please don't sue me AD) What a great line!

Often wondered how many Studebakers have survived in Cuba? Guess with the resumption of diplomatic relations these cars will disappear and Cuba will lose that pre 1959 flavor in automobiles.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I would caution that most of the U.S. automobiles remaining in Cuba might not be worth the cost of shipping back to the States.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

agree with Joe!

most of the 50's vehicles in Cuba may have Soviet Bloc diesel engine conversions as that's about all they could get as far as parts - among other things.

if trade actually opens up between the US and Cuba, the scammers will make the Craiglist ones look like amateurs! I'd fill up the car with Havana Cigars before shipping...

BTW, doesn't Canada have trade with Cuba? are cars included? if so, i haven't seen any for sale on the "usual sites". just asking.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

They have protected status so they can't be exported even if the embargo is lifted. They're considered historic landmarks.

If anything I suspect that you'll see 1950's cars going from the USA TO Cuba. I mean, every tourist is going to want to ride in a vintage taxi, so they'll probably need more to meet the demand. Stranger things have happened.

That said, I saw a fairly recent photo that had a 60 Lark convertible parked on the street in Havana that looked pretty decent.
          ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

When Cuba begins buying cars from the USA again, does that mean the value of our Studebakers will increase?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              When Cuba begins buying cars from the USA again, does that mean the value of our Studebakers will increase?
              I wonder if GM, Ford, FCA & VW will open assembly plants in Cuba like they do in Mexico now!! They'll need something other than cigars and sugar exports to get their economy rolling.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                BTW, doesn't Canada have trade with Cuba? are cars included? if so, i haven't seen any for sale on the "usual sites". just asking.
                Canada does have trade with Cuba but there are restrictions in trade especially if they are U.S. manufactured goods or U.S. based companies trading through their Canadian affiliates. The Helms Burton Act/Law (A U.S. Law) has considerable restrictions pertaining to Canadian companies trading with Cuba. CJMiller is correct the Cuban government does protect the American cars and considers them historic. I met a Canadian who owned a '38 Ford but later confessed he had purchased the car but it was registered in his Cuban wife's name. The car was not for export as he and his wife both lived in Cuba.

Back on subject, in my travels to Cuba I have seen very few Studebakers that I would want to take on as a restoration project. i have been travelling to Cuba on a regular basis for the past 20 years and agree with previous statements most of the cars are highly modified with various engine transplants both Russian and now Japanese. The last time I visited Cuba I rode in a very nice '57 Chevrolet that was an exception the only modification was air conditioning transplanted from a Japanese donor.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Guess you can't get that 59 Lark with a Lada Nivia diesel after all.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Mexico is phasing out VW Beetles. They would thrive in Cuba.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

since Cubans make an average of $20 a month, i don't think they would be a major US parts buyer - unless the gov't heavily subsidized the costs - as they do most other things: http://bestcubaguide.com/cuba-poor-country-salary/

maybe when Fidel "assumes room temperature", Raul or his successor may lift some of the "old car" restrictions and other laws, similar to what China did years ago. inflation would probably be high, but who knows? (trying not to go political, so i won't mention the families that got their property seized and settled mainly in Florida).

if might be a good market for Studebaker Vendors. (Stude content).

we will see...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                      X