New Carpet from Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carpet from Southeast

I received my new carpet from Rene today. The car is not ready for me to install it yet, but I had to unroll it and take a look. The seams where it was sewed together to form the tunnel are very pronounced. Is this the way all Stude carpet kits are made? I have never noticed this in cars I have seen at shows. They all seem to have molded carpets.

The only carpet I have ever installed previously was in my Mustang and that was a molded carpet. I know mustangs are so common that the carpets are mass produced and they can afford to make the mold. (or maybe it is mould)
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

No Studebaker EVER had a molded Carpet, usually the "Darts" cut in the Tunnel area of the Carpet were somewhat hidden somehow, folded in like a French Pleat?

I think Molded Carpets must have been a '70's thing, or even 80's.

Custom Cars/Street Rods, are rarely anything close to Period correct.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've seen the carpet built two different ways. One with the seam right down the center of the tunnel and then with the tunnel one piece and the seam at the bottom on both sides. I think the one with the seam at the bottom looks much cleaner because if you add floor mats which most people do it covers up the seams. See if you can pull up some interior pictures and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Nice to know that it is supposed to have the seams. I just wasn't expecting it so I was taken a bit by surprise.

Thanks for the feedback.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

If you look at old J.C.Whitney catalogs they show both molded and sewn carpeting for a lot of cars in the late 60's - early 70's.

Comment

i haven't had to pick up anything from Mr. Harger yet, but all i've seen here that it is all "original" looking. the "bad' is that sometimes it make take awhile to get it...
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Rene' is a bit of a perfectionist. if it wasn't right, I don't think he would put his name on it.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

I've installed a couple of carpets sets, and the seams do relax and become less noticeable after a while.

Comment

Rene's carpets are as good or better than the factory original, and I have seen both. How your carpet fits will depend a lot on how carefully you fit and cut the underfelt.

Chris.

Comment

I had a difficult time getting my Phantom carpet to fit right and getting the seams flat and straight several years ago. I have since been told I should have used a steamer to fit it properly. Maybe someone else knows about this and how to use it?

Comment

Over the past 15 years, from Rene', I have ordered and installed three sets of carpet & seat covers for 56J carpet and one set of carpet for a GT. All fit like gloves, and the order/ship time was acceptable. The 56J carpet always shipped in a month or less, and the GT carpet came in a week.

I have heard many horror stories of years' long waits for complete interior sets, and his ad even used to advise something to the effect of ordering interior when you first begin the registration. I never bought anything other than carpet and (56J) seat covers from Rene' but they always been quicker for me.

IIRC, the last carpet I ordered was for a GT, about 3-4 years ago, and understood he had began to outsource carpet, but I could be wrong on that. In any case, it was per his usual standard of perfection.
                      Last edited by JoeHall; 06-17-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I installed a complete set of carpet from Rene in my Avanti a couple years ago. Absolutely perfect fit and quality. I took the opportunity and also installed Dyna-mat insulation throughout the interior while I was at it. Could not be happier.
                        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

While on the subject of carpet...for a 1964 Lark type...looking for front carpet in maroon. Can be for two, four, door or wagon. Nice used or nos great. Will Sander doesn't have any.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                          X