Jts 1802

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jts 1802

I had someone inquire about the R-1 engine in my Champ P/U sometime back and it got me to thinking. Is there someone out there looking for this engine for their Lark or Hawk? I am about to do some heavy duty upgrades on this engine and if it's suppose to be in someone else's car, I would give it up and build another one. Here's the question, I have the engine number, can I go backwards and find out what car it came from. O.K. experts, "it's your turn."
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM.
    sigpic

I have a 62 Champ with a R1 engine from a Avanti. In 1974 when gas prices increased the owner pulled out
    the high compression engine and put in a regular 289. So a Avanti is missing it's R1.
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
      I had someone inquire about the R-1 engine in my Champ P/U sometime back and it got me to thinking. Is there someone out there looking for this engine for their Lark or Hawk? I am about to do some heavy duty upgrades on this engine and if it's suppose to be in someone else's car, I would give it up and build another one. Here's the question, I have the engine number, can I go backwards and find out what car it came from. O.K. experts, "it's your turn."
      You state R1 engine, and JTS is an R2 number. Which is it?

IF its an R1 bearing number JT1802, your answer as to what car it came out of here: -----------> http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn17.htm

Craig

Comment

That's what I love about this site, I did not know that the JTS designated an R2, thanks for the insight, so someone is missing an R2 motor?
        sigpic

Comment

My Daughter has a Jet Thrust engine in her 1957 Transtar pickup.
          The engine was in it when she purchased it, but the truck was a mess and the radiator was just barely in it and no shift linkage had been hooked up. Through research we found that the engine came out of a red lark that was shipped to Ohio when new. We cleaned up the engine and got the automatic transmission rebuilt & restored the truck. It looks pretty stock,... till you hear and see it run!
          Here is a photo of the truck (it was featured in TURNING WHEELS about 12 years ago).
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellen's Truck.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1697503

Comment

Very nice....
            sigpic

Comment

"JTS" = Jet Thrust Supercharged, an R2 Engine.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                "JTS" = Jet Thrust Supercharged, an R2 Engine.
                To further define it - JTS is an R2 (supercharged) engine from a Lark, Cruiser or Hawk (not an Avanti).

EDIT: Or one of two pickups (before someone jumps on this for this very rare exception).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jts 1802

I was hoping I had 1 of the two R2 trucks--- not! Mine is a 1962, oh well. After reading most of the replies, I guess numbers matching only relates to the 9 R3 Avanti's or the two R2 trucks, Hawks and Larks, I got no clue! We are fixin to make this one a real "Barn Burner," no matching numbers and all. Thanks for everyone's comments, terrific amount of knowledge on the site.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by StudebakerGene; 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Have fun with "him"!

i went thru the "matching numbers" cr@p when i had my Corvettes. they were, but everyone that asked had to take a "look see" - just to make sure.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I did the same with DZ Camaro's and 138 Chevelle's and Nova's. I guess in Studedom, it really doesn't matter. I'm going to probably stick an LS7 in it at sometime anyway. I'm sure someone will want this motor and 5 speed setup when I'm ready!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X