Article on 1931 Studebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on 1931 Studebakers?

I was interested in reading more about the 1931 models and this is what the index came up with:

1931 TheSuccessful Search
    1931President Roadster Bob Foust 3 2 1971 February
    1931 Studebaker'sColossal Car (1931-34) Richard Quinn 7 11 1975 November
    1931 Introducingthe New President 8 Richard Quinn 7 9 1975 September
    1931 1931President 7 - Passenger Phaeton William S. Strayer 14 7 1982 July
    1931 StudebakerStyle 1931 President Brougham Richard Quinn 21 3 1989 March
    1931 StudebakerPower Wins Pole at Indy Tom Lawlis 23 7 1991 July

This list doesn't show any usual type of article that Fred Fox wrote. Is there a newer article not shown in this index? I also have to ask again if there is an up to date index around. This version is the same one I've had and it stops around the year 2000. Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Are you looking for articles specific to the '31 President, or the entire line including the Model 54 Six, Dictator and Commander? I have done several articles in the Antique Studebaker Review on the '31 line most notably the President. Also did one feature on the Commander and the model 54 Six. Probably nothing issued by Studebaker in the '31 model year that I don't have!

Click image for larger version

Name:	31 pres cpe rounded corners forum.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1697490
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I was looking for an article about the whole range, like Fred has done for every year (or so I thought). Nothing against your articles Richard! Specifically I am curious about the grille shells on the Model 54. I've seen only a few pictures of this model where the shell is partially painted, and I find it very attractive and wondered about why it was offered that way. Was it an option or standard? And then I got to wanting to know more about the whole line.
      I know I read somewhere that Fred had done articles on practically every year and was working to close the gaps, but that was 10 years ago and I do not remember 1931 being one of the years he had yet to tackle. I know I'd be just as happy with one from the Antique Studebaker Review. I used to be a member, but it was not covered during that time.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

No, there has not been any comprehensive article on all the '31 models. Not really practical since the 4 models were quite different and distinct. Covering each separately would make for a lot more sense. The model 54 was introduced in Dec 1930 and 22,837 were assembled between that date and Sept '31, which is more than the other three models combined. As for the all chrome grille shell it was introduced in late April of '31. So the approx 16,000 or so early production had the painted shell and the last 6000 (approx) late cars had the all chrome shell. Also chrome headlight bodies were introduced in mid model run. John Nance Garner shown below with an early series model 54.

Click image for larger version

Name:	073 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1697505
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Great information and picture! Thanks. I have to ask, then, is there an article available on the model 54's? If not, would you consider writing one for TW?

Comment

Would not be a problem but I have never received a request from the editor. I do not submit articles for publication without a specific request.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
            X