Rear axle id help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear axle id help please

I didn't see a place for an introductions so I'll just get right to the point. I recently purchased a rear end and so far no-one has been able to ID it for me. Its going in a 57 Chevy ( I know brand X). It is the correct size which is why I originally looked at it.
    It is 59 1/2 wheel flange to wheel flange ,46 on the spring pads, its a dana 44 ,with a 4:27 gears and a posi of some make. It has tapered axles and looks to have been redrilled for 5 inch bolt circle. Some add on disc brakes have been installed.
    I was told this could well be from A mid 60s Stude. If this is true I need to know what it takes to convert to flange axles?. I'll try to post pics, I'm not a computer genius . Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0676.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1747069Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0680.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1747070Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0678.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1747071Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0679.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1747072Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0681.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1747073

If it is then buy a kit from http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/index.html there is not much informatiom on the site but there is here on the forum. The kit includes everything you need, that is if it is a Studebaker issued Dana 44.

Have a look here http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...4p1.html#Axles for information about the Moser axle kit and all else you might need to know about the Dana 44.

Len

Comment

Well I've read enough on Dana 44's my brain is hurting. I guess I will price out aftermarket axles and see how that comes out.I thought about selling it and going with something else but it doesn't seem it may be too valuable. I Had thought it was a Mopar axle and thought I could get later axles and it would be a quick conversion. The 4;27 and the posi would have saved some money on the installation. I'm still curious to know what it came from I probably will never know.
      My brother was a Stude lover , had he been still alive he would have been all over this. Thanks for the help fellas, Some forums get all ugly when you want to modify anything, correct chalk marks and all that.

Comment

Your flange-to-flange measurement sounds about right for a 1/2 ton truck rear axle. That's way too wide for most cars. Are you working on a Chev pickup?
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I believe it is a Stude. Dana 44, if it is Limited Slip, it's a Twin Traction.
          The Spring perches appear to be the wider type for a Stude. Car not Truck, but their distance apart would not fit any Chev.

The 4.27 ratio was used in Studes with Overdrive or for Drag Racing, not for Cruising Interstates without Overdrive however.

The flange to flange measurement is a mystery though, any signs of it having been widened?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well yes it is possible, the disc brake conversion made it wider at the flanges but I don't have the rotors off so I have no idea how thick they are. It is the same width as my 57 chevy rear as thats why I ended up with it. I talked to a guy this afternoon, he is a machinist but doesn't normally do car stuff. His advice was to get something common( 9 inch ford) and Respline and shorten the axles for the Dana 44 spline and then weld Ford ends on the housing and use Ford wheel bearings. WE do this a lot on GM 12 bolts ( eliminates C-clips) .It will also allow me to adjust my axle width to match the wheels better.
            I also will go to our U-pull-it junk yard and try to maybe measure up some jeep or other Dana 44 stuff to see if I can come up with flanged axle. I am hoping to find a database that will tell me what units had 19 spline axle,looks like later ones were more spline.
            Why am I going to all this trouble? I am trying to build a accurate 70s version of what would have run the gas class back then.It seems that the rear of choice then could have included the Dana 44. The Pontiac (57 thru 64) also was popular. PaClick image for larger version

Name:	jkreightley.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1697504rts for the Pontiac are very pricey. This rear already has a gear ratio and posi plus It was only $50 so if I can make it work even better. Thanks again for the help fellas.

Here is a pic of my Late Brothers Drag car.
            Last edited by joe keightley; 06-15-2015, 05:22 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Working...
            X