I keep coming back to this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep coming back to this one

I keep looking at this 64 Avanti on ebay as it seems unusual to me. The color combo, if original, and later style solid interior in the earlier color (not claret) is really different.

No clearcoat on an original Avanti. It's interesting that even the trunk channel is dull. You might want to go look at it with some 2000 grit and polish to see the condition. It's a decent car but if it needs paint and anything else you'll be into it for a much larger amount.

Look over the sales price of recently sold Avanti's both on Ebay and Bob Johnstones site and make your decision from there.

If you really want it have a local look it over, on second look you are a fur piece away.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. I am not a buyer but I think it's an unusual car. Does someone have the museum guide on Avantis? I wonder if we can determine how many were built with this interior and exterior color combined.

Comment

There were 19 red on red 64's built, if I read the production data monograph correctly.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

It isn't "original" if it has "Leather Seats".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
            Thanks Bob. I am not a buyer but I think it's an unusual car. Does someone have the museum guide on Avantis? I wonder if we can determine how many were built with this interior and exterior color combined.
            Yes they do. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=husvar

Craig

Comment

It reminds me of Rick Moon's car but I think the scenery does not look like Indiana. ....also you'll prolly have to pry his from his cold dead hands!
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Ricks car is gold . I do agree this car has a special appeal . Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Halibrand1 View Post
                  Ricks car is gold . I do agree this car has a special appeal . Ed
                  With an orange interior, right?
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Says right in the ad...

Item location:
                    Wenatchee, Washington, United States

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    It reminds me of Rick Moon's car but I think the scenery does not look like Indiana. ....<snip>
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No clearcoat on an original Avanti. It's interesting that even the trunk channel is dull. You might want to go look at it with some 2000 grit and polish to see the condition. It's a decent car but if it needs paint and anything else you'll be into it for a much larger amount.

Look over the sales price of recently sold Avanti's both on Ebay and Bob Johnstones site and make your decision from there.

If you really want it have a local look it over, on second look you are a fur piece away
                      No doubt that is a beautiful original survivor Avanti. Might be possible to polish the paint to a nice shine, or prep it for a clear coat and save some money that way. What is the brand of the wheels, which look exactly like the wheels that WERE on my R2-R4212, which I bought in 1998 for $12,000 and sold in 2013 for $12,000, figuring about $500 annual "possession" maintenance expenses, including SS exhaust by Mike Myers? I was told in 1998 that it had a $4,000 paint job which has held up very well over the past 15 years, mostly covered in a garage, now sitting out in the Montana sun. My other Avanti, bought for $7,500 around 2001, with about the same "maintenance" expenses, got a fresh paint job in Montana with over a year sitting in the body shop, worked on part time, at about $4,500 for the painting. R2-4212 is currently for sale in Montana for around $15,000. I would rather have the "Red on Red" Avanti currently listed on ebay for $15,000 than the R2 I sold. My current Avanti R-1 R5213 has air conditioning and is not for sale, with 101K miles. I question why the ebay Avanti required a "rebuild" on the engine at 67K?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00750.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1697522Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00762.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1697520Click image for larger version

Name:	R-5213 A.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1697521Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07570.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1697523Click image for larger version

Name:	R1-5213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1697524
                      Last edited by jnfweber; 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Jack, in Montana

Comment

I used to sell those wheels circa 1968-1970. They were ET II and were actually TWO piece wheels. The outer polished lip and spokes were one piece and were pressed into steel outers, then with little tabs which were cast into the outers, they were welded to the inners at the tabs. As hokey as it sounds I had them on my '63 GT for many years before progressing to Cragar S/S units. Its just 60's technology. As an aside, that BFG T/A is VERY ancient and was produced about that same era(probably early to mid 70's). Date code them and you wouldn't want to drive very far on them. Also with being located in Wenatchee, Washington, it gets pretty warm there in the summer so dry rot is probably pretty prevalent.
                        Hope this info helps.
                        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X