R2 Carb Accelerator Pump Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: R2 Carb Accelerator Pump Seal

I re- rebuilt this original AFB 2 years ago, and have been re-jetting it over and over to lean it down so my eyes don't hurt at idle. The first time I took it apart, it had just been rebuilt by someone--nice and shiny clean. But wouldn't run, as it was pouring fuel into the manifold. Taking it apart I discovered that some one must have pulled the top off and put it back on with the rods still in the upper cover and bent the rod tips, jamming them into the bowl bottom-missing the jets completey. Since the original fat metering rods are NLA I've had to change both rods and jets with Edelbrocks trying to get close to original mixture, It really hasn't seen any road miles as I've had so many other issues with power steering, brakes, electrical, new fuel lines etc. I'm just about done, so I can drive it, but yesterday after getting it down off jack stands, I started it and-- all of a sudden- it's pushing fuel up around the accelerator pump stem. Didn't do it the day before!! I have another from SI sitting in a box to put on, but is this a normal lifespan? Is there another source of these seals from a different gasket company than SI uses? This seems like a very short lifespan--no miles and two years of intermittent running. Anyone else had this problem or found a long term fix? Carb is coming back apart today, I would like to get a spare in case this one goes just as quickly.

I can't believe you and I just posted a similar rhread minutes apart.
    I will be most interested in any answers.
    The new seal I have coming is from SI but I will not put it in til we get some answers to our threads
    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
    1960 conv R2 auto
    SDC member since 1972
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 59r2 View Post
      I can't believe you and I just posted a similar rhread minutes apart.
      I will be most interested in any answers.
      The new seal I have coming is from SI but I will not put it in til we get some answers to our threads
      Maybe it's our gas--NJ--DE, special rubber eating solvents!!!???

Comment

Free Shipping - Edelbrock Accelerator Pump Assemblies with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Carburetor Accelerator Pumps at Summit Racing.

Use this seal, but the pump itself wont fit.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'll give it a try--but Autozone sells it for $17.99-. Love Summit but price not always the best.
          Opps-had it for $17.99 now $26.99--Yikes the part prices are changing as I look----!!!!!
          Last edited by karterfred88; 06-14-2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

"I re- rebuilt this original AFB 2 years ago, and have been re-jetting it over and over to lean it down so my eyes don't hurt at idle."

I usually find when an engine has a vacuum leak or the carb is too lean is when my eyes water from the bad exhaust.

Comment

I've been getting my carburetor parts from Allstate Carburetors in New York. They have good parts at a decent price. Their website is www.allcarbs.com. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                "I re- rebuilt this original AFB 2 years ago, and have been re-jetting it over and over to lean it down so my eyes don't hurt at idle."

I usually find when an engine has a vacuum leak or the carb is too lean is when my eyes water from the bad exhaust.
                Actually, engine runs smoother and cleaner with a vacuum leak induced, by removing the throttle kicker hose. Problem to start with, was who ever rebuilt it originally, before whoever bent the metering rods, put it back together with the rods from a different application, way too thin for the OEM jets which were correct. But not being able to match the OEM rods anymore, I've had to go with Edelbrock rods and jets and it has taken me awhile to figure out the right combo for the high vacuum step to lean it enough. Of course to add to my confusion, I didn't initially realize that part of the problem was the brake fluid being sucked in through the booster from the master cylinder that went bad while sitting in the garage. Now it's under control but I'm finessing it to get it so it doesn't spit out new carbon soot from the exhaust. I'm on my third set of new plugs, all black soot covered. I'm sure when I get it on the road it will be spitting soot out the exhaust for awhile. This car has been a bag of worms since I got it but I'm finally getting to the point it can be driven safely, and get registered. But on the bright side it does have 170 lbs of compression in every cylinder!!

Comment

I run a re-jetted 750 cfm AFB clone on my turbocharged 62 lark Daytona. if fuel is coming out around pump stem your carb is flooding period. i use no seal at all, i depend on turbo to push enough extra air through carb so i wont miss the bit that leaks out pump stem under boost. i use r-2 carb hat and have only fuel stains around pump stem. it's a daily driver and will boil carb dry setting in hot weather but doesnt vapor lock. a rich condition at idle and low speed is a good thing, it gives you an excuse to "Blow The Soot OUT " often which i do dutifully! Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    I've been getting my carburetor parts from Allstate Carburetors in New York. They have good parts at a decent price. Their website is www.allcarbs.com. Bud
                    Yes I have gotten parts from them, but not a carb kit, just new rod pistons and hair springs and choke cap hold downs (all of which were missing or damaged when I first put it together. But they didn't have the rods I needed either. As I have several kits already I didn't think I would need yet another!! Didn't expect to see the accelerator pump shaft starting to leak so soon, even before I've put any miles on it!

Comment

Fred
                      Just got off phone with dave tbo he thinks it is the seals on the accel. pump .DON'T put the SI seal in a CLONE carb it won't fit.
                      He says he now puts two o-ring under the brass washer .
                      I haven't taken mine apart yet to see what he is talking about O-rings (my accel seal from SI is due today so I won't need that)
                      I'll let you know how I make out.Will be pulling mine apart tonite hopefully
                      Joe
                      1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
                      1960 conv R2 auto
                      SDC member since 1972
                      http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

If you can give the part numbers you need I can check.
                        I have a huge stock of carburetor parts but it is inventoried by Studebaker part numbers,but I have a number of items with Carter numbers

Comment

Mikes can/will MAKE any size jet or metering rod your little heart desires!
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I ordered the EDL seal per Bez's suggestion, I'm pulling it apart today to check the inlet needle to see if the Viton tip may have bit the dust and the floats letting in too much fuel. Since the car had been sitting with the front end up and running ok, and it didn't start till it was back on all four wheels, the floats are now at a different angle, so maybe didn't get the fuel flow stopped and that may be causing the "overflow". But might put those O-rings in anyway till the EDL seal shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              http://www.carburetor-parts.com/

Mikes can/will MAKE any size jet or metering rod your little heart desires!
                              Two years ago I was quoted $114.00 pair of rods--Edelbrock rods from summit were about $12.00--so I chose to try jet/rods from the E carb. Looking back the $114.00 may have been the wiser move but money was tight then for my hobby car. I'm in it $48.00 on different rod and jet combos so far, just put in one step leaner jets for the rods I have--we'll see what happens. Now if I can just keep the inlet needles working!!

Comment

Working...
                              X