Library asked me to do a presentation about my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library asked me to do a presentation about my car

OK folks, any suggestions or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! My local library contacted me and wants me to do a presentation on my car. I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT a public speaker but I'll manage. They told me to make it very informal and they expect 25-30 people. It's a small town library and 30 people would be a full house. I have access to their ?power point? projector and the librarian said she'd help me scan any pictures to use on the projector. I figured I'd start my presentation with "Studebaker 101". A 'Cliff's Notes' version of the history of the company from 1852-1966 mentioning high lights and showing some pictures. Then I will get into more specifics on my car's history and restoration. Any thoughts...Anybody???

Be sure to mention the SDC and the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend for further information. BOTH with very good Websites.
    Sounds like you have a good start, good on you for doing this!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-13-2015, 04:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Be sure to mention the SDC and the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend for further information.
      Sounds like you have a good start, good on you for doing this!
      I've got several old issues of TW to pass around also. Writing down everyone's suggestions.

Comment

Here are links to a couple of documents you might use as talking points or even print for handouts.

http://www.northstarwheel.com/resour...akerfirsts.pdf

http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/studebakermyths.pdf

Also, you might get some copies of The Studebaker Story brochure to hand out. If you belong to a chapter they hopefully maintain a supply of these. If not, they can be ordered in packs of 100 for a small handling fee from The SDC Store @ The Museum. For details contact sboocher@studebakermuseum.org.
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

The SDC and the Museum have loads of free literature to make your task even simpler than easy! You should also be able to research you local library for references to your own local Studebaker dealerships. Bring it home!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I was asked to put my Champ on display at a local museum for a city wide Fourth Friday gathering. It is always a fun time and I felt honored. The museum blew up a picture of the oldest Studebaker garage (dealership) in town along with a brief history of the marque that I gave them I hung around the display most of the evening and simply answered questions. Much less formal than you are speaking about, but the suggestions made so far seem right on. I had some extra Turning Wheels available along with some SDC info and some newsletters for our local chapter as well. It was a good time and most of the folks that came by really seemed to enjoy looking and the truck and talking about Studebakers and other old cars. As would be expected I heard many of the old, but incorrect, stories about Studebaker so I tried to diplomatically make needed corrections. I really don't think you will have to worry about what you are about to do. Have fun spreading the Studebaker word.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              The SDC and the Museum have loads of free literature to make your task even simpler than easy! You should also be able to research you local library for references to your own local Studebaker dealerships. Bring it home!
              Any idea who I might contact to get copies of this literature?

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                Any idea who I might contact to get copies of this literature?
                For details contact sboocher@studebakermuseum.org.

Comment

The Smithsonian Institution has a lot of what you want:

Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                    The Smithsonian Institution has a lot of what you want:

http://www.sil.si.edu/ondisplay/studebaker/index.htm
                    Thanks! Smithsonian never occurred to me.

Comment

Did they give you a time frame? I see a lot of folks are giving you reference material and that's all good but remember the last time you set down and listened to someone present slide after slide. How long before your eyes glazed over?

Take a few slides with pertinent data, be sure to show a few pictures of notable Studes through history and, most of all, be interactive. Ask the audience about there old cars, where the Studebaker dealerships were locally and talk about your car. Let the passion show, don't make it a Condo Presentation out of it. Make it a communication.

Excellent exposure, Bob

Comment

Who's your audience? A group of older "friends of the library" donors,
                        or a group of kids in for a Story telling event.

Kids glaze over with facts and figures, they like a story, emotion, and ending. (Much like story of you as a kid finding and eventually restoring your car. Use of the projector, this will keep anyone focused and intrested.

All for now. Know your target audience.
                        The more interesting your story and passion, the more the audience will be inclined to research the companies past. And car clubs.

No pressure !
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                          ...My local library contacted me and wants me to do a presentation on my car... Any thoughts...Anybody???
                          Well...my thoughts are...I'm impressed!

There's hope!

As our world seems to be charging headfirst toward the next "Dark Ages"...a glimmer of nostalgic Middle America civility, literacy, and a "Mayberry Moment," it is comforting to know there remains such gentle pursuits. To me, the fact that the subject is "Studebaker"...is secondary to the overall image of the gathering.

As you see from the suggestions from others, there's plenty of information available. Your challenge will be to keep it brief enough to stay interesting, and inclusive enough to be accurately informative. Like the stories portrayed in movies such as "Forest Gump," and "Little Big Man,"...Studebaker tells a huge portion of American History without "Being" the story. From military vehicles during the Civil War, to the "Gold Rush" (Wheelbarrow Johnny), westward expansion (Conestoga), and answered the call during WWII with production for land and air vehicles. Long after their departure from auto production, the wake of their corporate journey is filled with corporate associated brands still extant today. A legacy not easy to match.

All the best with your presentation.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                            Who's your audience? A group of older "friends of the library" donors,
                            or a group of kids in for a Story telling event.

Kids glaze over with facts and figures, they like a story, emotion, and ending. (Much like story of you as a kid finding and eventually restoring your car. Use of the projector, this will keep anyone focused and intrested.

All for now. Know your target audience.
                            The more interesting your story and passion, the more the audience will be inclined to research the companies past. And car clubs.

No pressure !
                            No idea who my audience will be! The library will make up pamphlets and fliers about upcoming events and programs. I guess, whoever shows up will be my audience. My guess is, mostly guys from the barber shop and the gas station!

Comment

I have been teaching Studebaker and Avanti history to the new docent classes at the California Auto Museum for almost 10 years. I have written an extensive history for them to read on their own time. There is too much history with Studebaker to cover it all in the 45 minutes they give me.

My presentation consists of a historical slide show of the cars that Studebaker produced in it's 64 year history of building cars. I also touch on the wagon business that gave Studebaker a leg up on the automobile business as they already had huge production facilities in place. I carry it though to the 40 years of the continuation of the Avanti.

During my slide presentation, I totally wing it and let my enthusiasm for Studebakers shine through. Many of the suggestions already made are excellent ones. I have also spent time pointing out Studebakers in the movies and TV shows. It really depends on who your audience is. If you don't know in advance, then you need to be prepared for multiple audiences.

My biggest suggestion is just to have fun with it. If you are enjoying yourself, they will enjoy themselves. Make sure you follow up after the fact and let us know how it went.
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X