Paint code needed for 1964 Speedo/Tachometer Bezel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint code needed for 1964 Speedo/Tachometer Bezel

I'm looking for a paint code for 1964 Speedo/Tachometer's. It's the interior bezel of the instruments that meets the tach face and the glass. I would call it greenish/gun metal metallic. I have a 64 tachometer apart and would like to finish the unit off before I move. I went down to get it colour matched at my local FLAPS but the bezel was not big enough. No colour books there either. Crappy FLAPS.

Hopefully someone can come up with close colour match for me.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

I think if you use the search function, you will turn up several long threads on this subject. I have several NOS instruments and all are a very dark gray to almost black. But all the 64s I have seen in junkyards are some shade of green, some very light. So it has been my contention that they all started out as dark gray, but the sunlight bleaches the red tint out of the gray and leaves them with a greenish color. There are others who contend that it's only the replacement units that are gray, and that the ones actually installed in cars were always green. In any case, I seriously doubt that you will find a color chip for the green color, since every car seems to have a different tint. My recommendation would be to paint them a very dark (flat) gray.

Others are welcome to chime in.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Quote: "I'm looking for a paint code for 1964 Speedo/Tachometer's."

I will give you my best guess on this one Allen.

The Silver Green Color may have been achieved by a Transparent Green Lacquer type Paint applied OVER a Silver Aluminum Background.

And probably MORE likely than that, it was Anodized Green Aluminum.
      So what that means is there is NO Paint that is going to match the Original Color because it takes the Base AND the Color Process to create that Silver Green.

I must have over 40 between Gauge Clusters, Speedos and Cars, all shades of Green, the NOS and no Sun exposure ones all are Darker Green of course and the faded ones Lighter Green, none are Gray except the Borg Clocks, '64's, '65's and '66's.

Here is a good example of how Light affects the look of these, the Speedo is the actual Color but the light in this Pic #1 changes the Color of the Gauge Cluster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1697403 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4142.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1697404 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1697405
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-11-2015, 05:08 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think R2-for-me is talking about the ring that is directly under the glass and serves as the spacer between the glass and dial face. It is a grayish color on my 64.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
          I think R2-for-me is talking about the ring that is directly under the glass and serves as the spacer between the glass and dial face. It is a grayish color on my 64.
          Bingo! I have the ring out of the tach and want to match closely to that colour. Maybe someone can point me to a colour wheel with paint codes.

I have a local guy making the tachometer face in a decal form. I should have them in a couple weeks with a pretty close match to the dark green ones in Rich's post.

Need a close paint code so I can order a custom colour spray can of paint.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen
            I agree with Jeff(studefan) on the dark gray. That is what my '64 HT seems to have on the surround. The tach itself has a bluish/green/gray background but not quite as green as the dash gauges. Let me know about cost on the decals if some may be available.
            Ron in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
              Allen
              I agree with Jeff(studefan) on the dark gray. That is what my '64 HT seems to have on the surround. The tach itself has a bluish/green/gray background but not quite as green as the dash gauges. Let me know about cost on the decals if some may be available.
              Ron in PA.

I agree on the dark grey for the trim ring. Just need a number for a dark grey/green paint code

The decals are expensive to set up but are looking to be about $20/piece. I'm having 10 vinyl decals made up. I will have to see how they look next week. I may have just blown a couple hundred bucks on a whim. Who knows???

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I found a close colour match in a Benjamin Moore paint deck. The colour is called Stonecutter. Might have to get a paint sample can and paint out a board to get a colour match in spray can.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen
                  I have a couple of paint books from the '50's and '60's but haven't seen quite the shade. These are only chips and who knows how close the real paint is or if they can be duplicated with today's formulas. I'll keep looking! $20 doesn't sound too bad for the decal. Let us know how it matches.
                  Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                  X