"Is that a French car?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Is that a French car?"

We Had the GT out Saturday and I dropped the wife off at a store. So I was sitting there waiting when this lady came out and said "thats a real pretty car." I thanked her and waved as she walked around the back of the car. Then she came to the drivers window and asked me "is that a French car?" I replied "No its a Studebaker and it was built in South Bend Indiana." I just love driving this car.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Might as well get used to those kind of social exchanges, as long as you continue to drive your Stude. In no time at all, you will have lots of such stories to tell

Comment

With your name being French, my reply would have been, "Why, yes it is a French car."
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

wlfrench: That was funny. A couple of weeks ago I had my '63 Avanti at a show. I was asked, "Is that one of those cars that floats?" There have been many questions through the years, but that was a new one for me.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

At a show..

A fat bloviator preaching to his little group..

"A Studebaker..? We bombed the sh*t out of them in WWII.?

I said..
          We bombed South Bend Indiana ?

He replies.."they were assembled there..they were made in Germany.."

I corrected him
          Last edited by parts2; 06-08-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

"A Studebaker..? We bombed the sh*t out of them in WWII."
            I corrected him
            By "corrected him" you mean that you rounded off his pointy head?

Thought I'd heard every stupid thing about Studebaker, but that takes the cake for this year.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Friends of ours have an Avanti. While in a town, they got a parking ticket. On the ticket under make of car, the meter maid wrote" I have no idea".

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

It looks like a Rolls.I did not realize they made such a beautiful car.

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                    At a show..

A fat bloviator preaching to his little group..

"A Studebaker..? We bombed the sh*t out of them in WWII.?

I said..
                    We bombed South Bend Indiana ?

He replies.."they were assembled there..they were made in Germany.."

I corrected him
                    Well, that explains why there was no 1946 President and Commander Series. The tooling was all destroyed by the Allied Forces!! The Champion tooling was small enough to fit in the bunker! <G>

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      PROOF!! It IS French-Canadian! LOL
                      Last edited by Son O Lark; 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Last fall I drove my 50 Champion to southern Minnesota and twice at two different stops I was asked if my car was a Tucker.

The Studebaker is much better looking than the Tucker.

Comment

One lady was admiring my Lark and asked if it was European. I told her it was American. She then asked, "Did it come in any other color than black?"
                          I informed her it was not made by Henry. Louie, btw, is Riviera Blue.
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I've had my '59 Lark referred to as a German car. This fellow was trying to impress his girlfriend about his car knowledge. When he said my Lark is German, I shook my head "no" looking at the girl. I didn't want to embarass the guy.
                            I think this thread points out the importance of getting our cars out and about as much as possible to educate people about Studebaker in general. We have a whole generation of young people who have never even heard of Studebaker, much less seeing one.
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Had an older guy (old enough to know better) trying to impress his buddies by explaining that my Gran Turismo Hawk was just like the one in the Clint Eastwood movie, except Clint's was black. I have been asked if my car was a Mercedes, a Rolls-Royce, a Thunderbird or a Lincoln. Usually I just get, "what is it?". Then there's the stories people tell me about somebody's uncle who had one in the '50s that would do 150mph stock. And who knew Ford made those motors...?

Comment

Working...
                              X