Need a Cover or Screen for the Bellhousing Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Cover or Screen for the Bellhousing Hole

Is the hole in the top of the tranny bellhousing really needed? I know it's a small vent, but the mice love it for a doorway. My 1946 M5 starter wouldn't engage, and I found the mice had made a nest on top of the Bendix and rusted it stuck. I cleaned and oiled it, and it worked great. A month later I had the same problem again.
    I was wondering if someone makes a nice screen that would snap into the hole? If not I'll have to make something.

Stude made a dust cover that snapped in to that hole.
    Nothing fancy... Just a stamped disc with an expandable finger riveted on...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have used a cork. If you lose the drain hose on 62+ Larks,the bellhousing will fill up with rainwater.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Suggestion: This is a problem that a lot of us have. And, as Neil says, that hole can admit water, too. If you can find a way to make a screened plug that can be readily installed, looks presentable, and that you can make for well under a buck each, you could probably sell a mitt-full of them for $2.00 each or 3 for $5. I'd buy three for sure. On the other hand, a real pretty billet aluminum plug, blue-anodized with a crimped-in stainless steel mesh, that looks killer at car shows, would gather dust on the shelf at $20 each. I'm thinking a guy could use a drill press and a set of hole saws to make round wooden plugs, with a slight shoulder on the outer diameter that would allow it set in the bellhousing hole, but not fall through. Cement a disc of aluminum fly screen, which could be cut by a home-made punch to the top surface of the plug, which has a 3/4" hole made in it, and paint the whole thing flat black from a rattle can. User cements plug in place with black silicone seal or JB Weld. Screen would allow air to vent, and raised shoulder of plug would deflect most water, aside from what fell directly on the screen.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I guess the question is do you make one with a Screen Vent, and on '61 to '64 Larks and Lark types, let the water in or do you just Plug it?

The Clutch Housings should not need any Air, and the Converter Housings have a lot of Inlet Air space at the Right Lower Side, so unless they need Outlet Air circulation for Cooling, either Type could be Plugged water tight.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

How about a piece of metal window screen held on with silicone seal? Cheap and effective, the perfect CASO solution.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I was thinking a chrome plug from the local hardware store should do fine. Even cheaper and more water tight would be a red plastic cap plug. I'll have to look closer, but I can't think of how water would get into the hole, unless I was to wash the engine, which I don't do.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                I was thinking a chrome plug from the local hardware store should do fine. Even cheaper and more water tight would be a red plastic cap plug. I'll have to look closer, but I can't think of how water would get into the hole, unless I was to wash the engine, which I don't do.
                Certain Larks,63&62, that I know of first hand,have the opening in the cowl in front of the windshield.Water naturally runs into it and is drained through a hole in the firewall behind the engine.There is a rubber hose which diverts the water to the right side of the engine bay. If this hose is damaged or missing,the water runs directly into the hole in the bellhousing.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

It is claimed that without a vent, the clutch might create a vacuum inside the bell housing and pull oil past the rear seal. This has been published in an old Studebaker Service Bulletin, and in Motor, the trade magazine.
                  A good cover might be a small, round, house soffit vent. Would probably need to drill and thread some holes to make sure it stays in place.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	soffet.vent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	1697314
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    It is claimed that without a vent, the clutch might create a vacuum inside the bell housing and pull oil past the rear seal. This has been published in an old Studebaker Service Bulletin, and in Motor, the trade magazine.
                    A good cover might be a small, round, house soffit vent. Would probably need to drill and thread some holes to make sure it stays in place.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]44550[/ATTACH]
                    I used something like this held in place with JB Weld.

Comment

Working...
                    X