Jim Clark and STP Studebaker Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Clark and STP Studebaker Special?

Did Jim Clark actually drive one of the STP specials at Indy? If so I had not realized it. This is an iteresting ebay item.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

If it was the STUDEBAKER STP Racing Team in 1966, they would have been running a small block Chevy [}]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

If it was the STUDEBAKER STP Racing Team in 1966, they would have been running a small block Chevy [}]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

...or was it the turbine car? Oh, and yea Dick I get it! A 283 McKinnon, right?

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

...or was it the turbine car? Oh, and yea Dick I get it! A 283 McKinnon, right?

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

It would have been a Kurtis-Novi turbine car. STP also sponsored Mario Andretti in 1969 when he won the Indy 500.

Comment

It would have been a Kurtis-Novi turbine car. STP also sponsored Mario Andretti in 1969 when he won the Indy 500.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

But the press kit is for the '66 team. I believe the turbine car was the '67 race.

I'm stickin' with my small block Chevy theory [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

But the press kit is for the '66 team. I believe the turbine car was the '67 race.

I'm stickin' with my small block Chevy theory [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is a copy of the press kit. It shows that it was a Novi car, but when you look at the official results it shows that both Jim Clark and Al Under drove for STP Gas Treatment but were in Lotus Fords. Novi's were used in the 1964 race but by '67 they had gone to the Pratt & Whitney turbine.

Comment

Here is a copy of the press kit. It shows that it was a Novi car, but when you look at the official results it shows that both Jim Clark and Al Under drove for STP Gas Treatment but were in Lotus Fords. Novi's were used in the 1964 race but by '67 they had gone to the Pratt & Whitney turbine.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, Jimmy drove a Lotus Ford in the '66 500.
                        Al Unser was his teammate that year, also in a Lotus Ford.
                        They both carried STP sponsorship.

Chris Pile
                        The Studebaker Special
                        Midway Chapter SDC
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They both carried STP sponsorship.

Chris Pile
                          The Studebaker Special
                          Midway Chapter SDC
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

The both carried STP sponsorship.

Chris Pile
                            The Studebaker Special
                            Midway Chapter SDC
                            That Lotus 38 that won in 1965(with a small block Ford) was an AMAZING sight--it looked to be half the size of the Offys and pretty much changed Indy racing forever.

Colin Chapman = genius. Jim Clark = Best Driver EVER!!

Compare the Lotus with an Offy from the same year (front engine, BIG, HEAVY-- IMMEDIATELY obsolete!!!)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

The both carried STP sponsorship.

Chris Pile
                              The Studebaker Special
                              Midway Chapter SDC
                              That Lotus 38 that won in 1965(with a small block Ford) was an AMAZING sight--it looked to be half the size of the Offys and pretty much changed Indy racing forever.

Colin Chapman = genius. Jim Clark = Best Driver EVER!!

Compare the Lotus with an Offy from the same year (front engine, BIG, HEAVY-- IMMEDIATELY obsolete!!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X