PDA

View Full Version : Other: Vacuum wipers - improving operation?

mred91
05-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know of any way to make them operate better ? I have heard of some kind of cannister you install in-line to aid the vacuum for them. Any help in solving a slooow wiper situation is helpful. Thanks :o

GinettaG12P
05-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't know what kind of car you have, but for some models there is a dual action fuel pump that incorporates a vacuum pump.

Deaf Mute
05-25-2015, 08:06 PM
I have only done it once... and it worked... on my Model A Ford.
I took the unit completely apart and cleaned all of the gunk out.. it was almost like permatex.
I then lubed the moving parts with kerosene and cleaned out the felt filter with gasoline and after drying it out, dipped it in kerosene as well. After putting it all back together, it worked & I celebrated with a cold Coors!
Good luck with yours.

Greenstude
05-25-2015, 09:41 PM
In my opinion, the definitive answer is to send your wiper motor to Ficken Wiper Service, 132 Calvert Ave., West Babylon NY 11704 USA. The e-mail address is sales@wiperman.com . The website is wiperman.com . Many years ago I had them repair the wiper motor for our 1947 Champion. I was, and am, totally pleased was the results. It is still working well. I asked Mr. Ficken what I should do to keep the wiper motor in good shape. His reply was to use the wipers as often as possible.

About a month after writing the above paragraph, I drove the 1947 Champion home 425 miles from the Northeast Zone meet in Portland, Maine in rain --- mostly in heavy rain. The vacuum wipers worked well, probably as well as when new.

showbizkid
05-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Moved to Tech Talk. :)

BobWaitz
05-26-2015, 12:02 PM
In my opinion, the definitive answer is to send your wiper motor to Ficken Wiper Service, 132 Calvert Ave., West Babylon NY 11704 USA. The e-mail address is sales@wiperman.com . The website is wiperman.com . Many years ago I had them repair the wiper motor for our 1947 Champion. I was, and am, totally pleased was the results. It is still working well. I asked Mr. Ficken what I should do to keep the wiper motor in good shape. His reply was to use the wipers as often as possible.

http://www.wiperman.com/

48skyliner
05-26-2015, 01:13 PM
My 48 Champion came with an electric vacuum pump in the engine compartment, which was activated when you turned on the wipers. I never drove it in the rain, but I tested the wipers and they seemed to work just fine. I removed the complete wiper system, with all its cables and pulleys, all in excellent condition and well made. I think the whole thing must have been designed by Rube Goldberg, but it worked well.

I have read here on this forum that some people have adapted an electric motor to run the original system - seems like the best solution. It will always run at the same speed, even when you are climbing hills. You should do a search and read about that.

I installed a more modern electric wiper system in mine, but it was a big project that you probably don't want to get into.

TWChamp
05-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Back in 1969 I took my 1950 Commander wiper apart and cleaned and lubed it just as Deaf Mute said, and it worked fine.

The metal can is simply a reserve vacuum supply to give you a very short term vacuum while the gas pedal is floored. A dual diaphram fuel pump would be the better answer.

mred91
05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Back in 1969 I took my 1950 Commander wiper apart and cleaned and lubed it just as Deaf Mute said, and it worked fine.

The metal can is simply a reserve vacuum supply to give you a very short term vacuum while the gas pedal is floored. A dual diaphram fuel pump would be the better answer.

Thank you for that bit of information, anything can help. Today I put new vac line to it and it helped a bit, but not too much.:drool:

TWChamp
05-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Also make sure the wiper switch cable is adjusted for full movement from OFF to ON.
When I bought my 1950 Champion last spring, the wiper wouldn't turn on because the switch cable was rusted tight. It looked perfect except for one small spot where water had dripped in it. I used penetrating oil and kept flexing and pulling the wire both directions and it took me about 10 hours of work over a few days to finally get the cable to move again. If the winshield leaks and drips onto the cable, it would be a good idea to slip a plastic or rubber hose over that section of cable.

Commander55
05-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Take the wiper motor off, pour about a tablespoon of brake fluid into the vacuum hose and work the motor back and forth about a dozen times. Remount the motor and hook the hose up again. Try it and see if it'll work better. You should see an improvement.

Greenstude
05-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Other important points: (1) When the cable from the dash knob is re-installed on the wiper motor, it is critical to have it exactly in the correct position, If the wiper motor has never been off the car before, note exactly where the cable is located in relation to the little tab that is screwed down to hold it in place. Also when reinstalling, this screw and tab must be just tight enough to hold the cable securely, but not so tight that it jams the inner part of the cable that slides to turn the motor on and off. (2) The rubber vacuum tube from the manifold must be in excellent condition, and must be air-tight at each end. If it can be moved without considerable effort, replace it with a new tube.

Corvanti
05-27-2015, 06:55 PM
no answers - basically subscribing to the thread for the good info & links when i get the chance to deal with my '51 wipers. they do work occasionally, hopefully just a vac line leaking.

until i get a-round-tuit, a good coat of Rain-X helps if i'm caught out in the rain...:)

rkapteyn
05-27-2015, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine called Ficken to ask about the vacuum wipers on his M 5 truck.
They stated that they run out of parts to repair them.This is only for the small units.
Robert Kapteyn

mbstude
05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
For those of you that want to step past 1949... ;) http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=1133/mode=cat/cat1133.htm

Flashback
05-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Clean it real good and install "hide" a large vacuum reserve tank.

KCoupeNewbie
05-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Vacuum reserve tank will be great, but only if you install a check valve between manifold and tank; otherwise stored vacuum is lost back to the engine when throttle is opened again.