EPAS on Buttercup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: EPAS on Buttercup

Besides working on the front disc brakes, I've been doing some shade tree engineering on Buttercup's steering.

The first two pix are of the column with the Saturn upper part attached.
    The second two are of the column with the upper part of an aftermarket chrome tilt column attached.

Whatdya think? Am I crazy or what!
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 10-22-2017, 06:46 AM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Jerry is leading edge (as usual). Although it has been used for a few years in new cars, electric power steering is starting to happen for hot rods. Relatively simple, no plumbing, no pump, no engine load. There are new units available just for rods and you can always adapt an OE unit.

Nicely done, Jerry!
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
      Jerry is leading edge (as usual). Although it has been used for a few years in new cars, electric power steering is starting to happen for hot rods. Relatively simple, no plumbing, no pump, no engine load. There are new units available just for rods and you can always adapt an OE unit.

Nicely done, Jerry!
      Thanks Dick. Any kudos from you I consider a great honor.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        Thanks Dick. Any kudos from you I consider a great honor.
        ...and I consider you FOS to consider it a great honor.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jerry

Are you tying that to the original box or another R&P setup? And what did it come from? Inquiring mind need to know.

As usual, nice and creative work, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Jerry

Are you tying that to the original box or another R&P setup? And what did it come from? Inquiring mind need to know.

As usual, nice and creative work, Bob
            Original steering box.
            Donor parts from a 2002-7 Saturn Vue (also Equanox).
            Also you have to go to EBAY and get a controller/potentiometer from a guy in Portugal.
            I got the power unit (lower half of the steering column) from a You-Pull-it for $55.
            The next day I realised I also needed the upper half. That cost me another $45.
            If I had gotten it all at the same time it would probably have been $55 for everything. Live and learn.
            The controller/potentiometer was about $75 including shipping from Portugal.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Very interesting Jerry. I saw that done on TV on Phantom Works on an Avanti. It seemed to work great. They've been doing it for years on ATV's with great success so why not on cars.

Comment

I tracked down the control box and while finding it I see the prices on the used Saturn EPAS units. Your's was still a reasonable deal. I'm not sure how you find what you find but kudos to you for finding and posting same. "Did I use find enough in the sentence?"

This one stays in the file. Thx, Bob

Comment

Interesting idea, but I still don't see the need for power steering or brakes in these cars..!?
                  Though I do have four wheel disc brakes on both my 54 wagons, neither have power assisted brakes and they work great. Just pick the right master cylinder piston size. The Stude OEM pedal lengths (both upper and lower lengths) are already very good for this application.

Mike

Comment

ha ha Jerry you surprised me on this one! your earlier post on the 'surprise on the other side of the firewall' had me figuring you placed the 'speeder upper/slower downer' gizmo you posted about a few years back. I was thinking about the aftermarket eps units but the price was scary...kudos to ya for going oem. Not that it matters to you at this point, but there was a thought provoking article in Car and Driver a few months back about the different methods the OEM have created eps systems. thumbs up on this creation, so exciting!cheers Junior
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      Interesting idea, but I still don't see the need for power steering or brakes in these cars..!?
                      Though I do have four wheel disc brakes on both my 54 wagons, neither have power assisted brakes and they work great. Just pick the right master cylinder piston size. The Stude OEM pedal lengths (both upper and lower lengths) are already very good for this application.

Mike
                      Your car, your choice. My car, my choice.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        ha ha Jerry you surprised me on this one! your earlier post on the 'surprise on the other side of the firewall' had me figuring you placed the 'speeder upper/slower downer' gizmo you posted about a few years back. I was thinking about the aftermarket eps units but the price was scary...kudos to ya for going oem. Not that it matters to you at this point, but there was a thought provoking article in Car and Driver a few months back about the different methods the OEM have created eps systems. thumbs up on this creation, so exciting!cheers Junior
                        Thanks Junior. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Also you have to go to EBAY and get a controller/potentiometer from a guy in Portugal.
                          A vendor at the recent Portland, OR, swap meet was selling similar, complete set ups (I'm not sure of the OE steering column he used or where he got the controller/potentiometer). I played with his set up some. One thing that is super neat is that you can dial in the amount of assist the EPAS provides...and you don't have to leave it alone if you dash mount the pot. You can dial in a lot of assist when you parallel park, and dial most out when you are on the freeway (or track).
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Like I said, not that it matters, but still good reading...

cheers, junior
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              One thing that is super neat is that you can dial in the amount of assist the EPAS provides. You can dial in a lot of assist when you parallel park, and dial most out when you are on the freeway (or track).
                              That's one reason I'm doing it. Who needs power assist over 15 miles per hour.
                              Now I'm starting to sound like another guy on this forum that thinks anyone that wants more that 175 HP must be crazy. Why would anyone need a car that would run more than 60 MPH. <G>
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X