production order questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• production order questions

Is there a list of distribution terminals where a car may have went before going to the dealer?

I ordered a build sheet for a car and destination is simply "11 Albany, NY". It was shipped by rail from South Bend. Pretty basic information otherwise, too.

How many '53 Commander hardtops were built with power steering?

Thanks!

Last edited by mbstude; 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM.

To me, it looks like there are some errors on that production order (I don't know who made the errors - Studebaker/SNM).
    Under "date to ship" it has "4 rail".
    It has a "date written" as "8-7", yet it shows "final assembly date" as "8-4-53" [one of my birthdays!]. This would mean that it was built before it was written up as an order.
    The "11 Albany, NY" may be a dealer location and not a distribution point, but I do not know for sure.
    In 1953 (model year) directional signals (2351) became mandatory on NY cars.
    2314 is the full wheelcovers.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess it matters a lot as to which of Many Form Formats were used based on the Year Model and Plant, but I always thought the "Date to Ship" was the SCHEDULED date to Ship, NOT the Date Shipped.

I have one or that have a Date to Ship, but NO date Shipped.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems that it is now impossible to get a photocopy of the actual, original doc. The SNM is not the only one to go this route, I've found.

Comment

HMMMMMM was the order written after the car was built? Was the original lost then this order made to cover the lost order? Brings up some veeeery interesting questions. Where is Perry Mason when we need him?

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ 85715

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            To me, it looks like there are some errors on that production order (I don't know who made the errors - Studebaker/SNM).
            It has a "date written" as "8-7", yet it shows "final assembly date" as "8-4-53" [one of my birthdays!]. This would mean that it was built before it was written up as an order.
            I would not be surprised if it was an error on the part of the typist. In the N&A days when all production orders, microfilm & paper copies, were typed, I found at least two errors the typist had made on it when I later ordered the photocopied version when they became available.

(BTW, how can you have more than one birthday?)

Craig

Comment

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I would not be surprised if it was an error on the part of the typist. In the N&A days when all production orders, microfilm & paper copies, were typed, I found at least two errors the typist had made on it when I later ordered the photocopied version when they became available.

(BTW, how can you have more than one birthday?)

Craig
                I have a "birthday" every year, don't you? My birth day or date of my birth is just one day.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have a "birthday" every year, don't you?
                  Nope! I haven't had one since I was 18!

Craig

Comment

Gary is correct re the dates. Date written is the date that that version of the PO was written. If it was a firm order, the date written would be before the assembly date. If the date was after the assembly date, it would be a new copy that provided the shipping and billing data for a vehicle that had already been built (or cancelling same for a cancelled order). Yet another version would be generated for an existing vehicle that was being modified to match a firm order. I have three original PO copies for my 64 Daytona. They are all different and all have different dates.

Trivia dept: no railroad is specified because the New York Central ran/runs right next to the Stude plant, and also serves Albany -- so it would have been shipped NYC all the way.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

I had another thought (based on experience).

When I sold Chrysler products, the new cars were shipped by train to a terminus near Albany, NY. They came from there by auto transport tractor-trailers.
                      We were located in Fishkill, NY, approximately 90 miles south of Albany. The Studebakers were probably delivered this way. If that was the case, the Starliner might have gone to a dealer anywhere down the Hudson Valley (there were many).

The 1953 Commander Stariner that I knew since new, was sold by the dealer in Beacon, NY, but it was shipped to a dealer in Peeekskill, NY (two counties south). The selling dealer got it on a dealer swap.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The 1953 Commander Stariner that I knew since new, was sold by the dealer in Beacon, NY, but it was shipped to a dealer in Peeekskill, NY (two counties south). The selling dealer got it on a dealer swap.
                        Yep, we discussed 'dealer transfers' here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=pocatello

I mentioned my great-aunt's brand new 1962 Bonneville was originally destined for Idaho, and then transferred to Edmonton.

Craig

Comment

Seems the actual question has fallen down the rabbit hole.
                          Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

I had another thought (based on experience).

When I sold Chrysler products, the new cars were shipped by train to a terminus near Albany, NY. They came from there by auto transport tractor-trailers.
                            We were located in Fishkill, NY, approximately 90 miles south of Albany. The Studebakers were probably delivered this way. If that was the case, the Starliner might have gone to a dealer anywhere down the Hudson Valley (there were many).

Thanks Gary. That was my thought, too.. Hence why I initially asked if anyone had a list of Studebaker distribution terminals. I still think "11 Albany, NY" was a place for the train to unload, not where the car ended up being delivered to.

This car has early history in Long Island as well as Schenectady. I wish I could find out more about it.

Comment

I sent an email to Andy Beckman, here's his reply.

So it looks like the car was ordered with a straight 3 speed and power steering, and sold somewhere in New York.

What an odd '53 hardtop.
                              Last edited by mbstude; 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X