Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Long Term Storage

Some Questions:

1. I have the numbers matching engine out of my long term project currently mounted on an engine stand. Previous owner had fired it up and said it sounded great. The engine does turn right now. What do I need to do to make sure it is still free? What do I need to do when I am ready to get it back in the car? I know I will need to replace the valve seals but what else?

2. DG 250 Transmission. The transmission was separated from the engine when I got it. The bell housing was still attached and the torque converter was separated by the previous owner. Should I drain all the fluid from the trans and torque converter and replace it with fresh? The transmission is not leaking; it is set off the concrete in the garage at this time. Knowing the problem with finding someone to work on this transmission, I am hopeful that it is in good shape to use but will not be surprised that it will need work. I stopped by a local British independent garage that has been around for many years to inquire about someone to work on the DG250 and the one guy stated he has not heard anyone asking about that in 25 years.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Tape off any openings, as mice love to nest in metal houses. I'd fog the engine cylinders with motor oil, or fogging oil, then screw the plugs back in and park it in a dry location. Heated is better than cold storage. Why do the seals need to be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      Tape off any openings, as mice love to nest in metal houses. I'd fog the engine cylinders with motor oil, or fogging oil, then screw the plugs back in and park it in a dry location. Heated is better than cold storage. Why do the seals need to be replaced?

All openings have been covered and it is under the carport. Will check out fogging oil. It is dry usually in Arizona and it is on an engine stand protected from the weather.

I had always heard from various members that one thing that needs to be done with an engine sitting for a long time is to replace the valve stem seals. Is this advise I have received in error?

BTW, my car was shipped from South Bend to Danube, Minnesota on 4/23/55 according to the information supplied by Mr Richard Quinn.

Bob Miles
      Tucson Az
      Last edited by 6hk71400; 05-18-2015, 02:09 PM. Reason: added information

Comment

car was shipped from South Bend to Danube, Minnesota on 4/23/55
        That town in just down hwy 212 abt 10 miles to the west of the town I went to HS in. I had heard once before of a stude dealer in that town but don't know any details. I am pretty familiar with that part of MN having grown up about 20 or so miles from there. But, I was born the same year Studebaker shut down so this was well before my time.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Wow that is neat! Anyone else familiar with Danube Minnesota? Anyone have any dealer stuff from the dealer or even his name?

Thanks

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

When I lived in El Paso it seems we had a sandstorm once a month, and it usually came at night. In the morning even the dishes in the kitchen cupboard would have fine red dust all over them. So, if you are subject to sandstorms, make sure the engine is well wrapped, like a couple of large garbage bags taped tight to keep out the dust.

I would run the engine before thinking the seals needed to be replaced. I've never heard that one before, and I have never had to replace valve seals on any of my engines, some which have been unused for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
            X