Where was The Parker Process....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was The Parker Process....

...when Studebaker-Packard could have really used it?

From the new Packard Automobile Classics Club Second Quarter 2015 Quarterly, The Packard Cormorant:

This was obviously World War One fare; does anybody know anything about it? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Google "parkerizing".
    Parts are submerged in a phosphoric acid solution then heated.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Parkerizing is a familiar term to those acquainted with guns.

Comment

Ah, yes; Parkerizing. 'Should have recognized that natural derivation from The Parker Process.
        I wonder when they changed it from The Parker Process, as in that advertisement, to Parkerizing. Parkerizing makes a lot more sense from a promotional standpiont. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This also produces a good surface for painting.
          David L

Comment

Hmmm...I seem to recall that reground cams were sometimes Parkerized to aid in oil retention during break-in.

Comment

"Parker Process", "Parkerizing" are trade names for phosphate coatings. Under paint it's usually zinc phosphate, as applied, ie, dried. For wear or break-in lubrication it's usually manganese phosphate, oiled.

Rarely it's iron phosphate where especially thin coatings are required.

It provides an excellent semi-porous surface for holding paint or oils, so yes, it does improve corrosion resistance by providing excellent retention of paint or oil.

Comment

My first reaction was that it was similar to Ziebart, but after reading the above descriptions, I stand corrected.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Gosh, It always amazes me the things I learn just browsing the forum.

bhapner

Comment

I'm pretty sure Lark Parker invented it.

Comment

Working...
                    X