What happened to Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Studebaker?

I think you can see from my posts that I am trying to learn about Studebakers so I have a response when I am asked the questions when I am out in my Golden Hawk.I am about to ask maybe a touchy question that I have been asked several times and don't have a answer for. What happened to Studebaker? I dont know how many times I have heard the statement Studebaker was ahead of it's time. So why did they go out of buisnes?A few people that I have asked that own Studebakers have more or less told me it was mismanaged and over priced. Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but I would like to know.

Maybe start here----> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=1963+rambler

Then here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...grundy+almanac

Craig

Comment

A very simple description that I use that the general public seems to readily understand - the automobile division was not making the profit level that was expected for the investment in the plants, equipment, properties, etc. Automobile production was shut down and the corporation concentrated on the profitable divisions. Studebaker did not go out of business, but they did shut down and liquidate the automobile division.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

There have to be a bazillion posts here hedging all around the issue you ask, some may even directly answer it.
        Here is an interesting one:

Huge loses in the Millions, and 0 Profit never sits well with investors, action MUST be taken.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-15-2015, 06:26 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by gmannix View Post
          Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but I would like to know.
          A reasonable question, properly asked.
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Shameless Plug

Originally posted by gmannix View Post
            I think you can see from my posts that I am trying to learn about Studebakers so I have a response when I am asked the questions when I am out in my Golden Hawk.I am about to ask maybe a touchy question that I have been asked several times and don't have a answer for. What happened to Studebaker? I dont know how many times I have heard the statement Studebaker was ahead of it's time. So why did they go out of buisnes?A few people that I have asked that own Studebakers have more or less told me it was mismanaged and over priced. Hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but I would like to know.
            Why not contact the Studebaker National Museum or Avanti Owners Association International and order a copy of my book, "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker".

You'll learn a great deal about the last few years of the Company from one who was there.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Hi gmannix

Never feel queasy about asking a reasonable question about why a major business failure occurred. In every one of those cases, the complete answer is complex, requires studying the various internal and external actions and forces that brought about the result. Fortunately, Studebaker has been studied and analyzed intensely, documented and legitimate conclusions drawn. Even with its unfortunate demise, it still is a fascinating history and worthy of your study.

As our teachers used to say "the recommended reading list for further study" is also readily available. Mr. Chapman's book is an excellent source, "Champion of the Lark" by Robert Ebert covers the period of Harold Churchill's presidency from 1956-61. Back issues of "Turning Wheels" have myriad, authoritative articles the illuminate specific aspects that contribute to a complete understanding. You will also find many thoughtful discussions of that topic in the Forum archives.

Wishing you good studying as you start your Studebaker history education, ask any and all questions that come to mind. Resources here stand by to help point you in the right direction for more answers. Enjoy the journey.

Steve

Comment

As Stu has noted, he wrote a book about the last days of Studebaker's automobile production. There are at least a half-dozen other books that discuss both the vehicles and the business end of the company -- so there's no simple answer to the question. It's worth noting that the company did not go bankrupt, but stayed in business making a bunch of other products. The corporate name disappeared in a series of mergers, but the company's stockholders did not lose their investment, and those who kept their stock ended up owning stock in a number of other companies.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X