Help - rusty, stuck engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Help - rusty, stuck engine.

Head is off. Rust galore. Pulled the oil pan. Disconnected rods 1. 2. 5. And 6 crank rotation won't allow access to 3 and 4. Still can't spin the motor. Any advice appreciated.

Were you able to remove rod and piston assemblies 1, 2, 5, and 6?

i'd leave any stuck pistons attached to the crank, and soak things in heavy duty penetrating oil for a while.
    I'd probably power wire brush the rust off the cylinders above the pistons, for the day in the future when they get moving they won't have to cross a rusty mess.

Comment

Agree with Dan; soak, soak, soak. Acetone, transmission fluid, PB Blaster. Patience! Then use a block of wood and a bigger hammer!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

OK - time for common sense: if you're planning to drive the truck without plates around the back 40.....go for it. If you plan to spend a few bucks making it road worthy.....I'd suggest you find another "running" engine...or rebuild...plenty around....
        Last edited by jackb; 05-13-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Picking up the 302 tomorrow. Hate to abandon the flat 6. But 80hp isn't worth the time and money. Because yes. I do want to drive it.

[QUfOTE=jackb;920236]OK - time for common sense: if you're planning to drive the truck without plates around the back 40.....go for it. If you plan to spend a few bucks making it road worthy.....I'd suggest you find another "running" engine...or rebuild...plenty around....[/QUOTE]

Comment

302 might not be my first choice. But I made a trade on Craigslist with a fella. Should work fine.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I will have engine parts for sale. Lol.

Comment

Moderator's note: I've edited your thread title to be more descriptive. More than one word is usually better for attracting attention

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you. Still figuring things out.

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                Moderator's note: I've edited your thread title to be more descriptive. More than one word is usually better for attracting attention

Comment

You would be surprised what you can do with 80 hp. My largest tractor only has 20 and I can easlily out pull two or three frour wheel drive trucks. My smallest tractor only has 5 hp and back when it was built it was advertised to be able to plow five acres a day.
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment