50 Commander Starlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Commander Starlights

I just saw that a solid one without an engine just sold on Ebay for $6100. It had surface rust and had been sitting outside for some time but is supposedly rust free. I had three of these. I sold one a couple years ago on Ebay and it surprised me what it brought. I am also happy to report that the new owner is very pleased with it. I have a second one on Ebay now and am surprised how many folks have looked at it and how many are watching it. As bidding seems to be heaviest on the last day I will probably not know till then if it meets my reserve.

I am keeping one of the three and they definitely are nice riding machines. I was lucky in that all three have overdrive. I am actually keeping the plainest Jane of the three. I was also surprised to see that the value on these has gone up $2000 in the past two years per the various sites such as NADA etc. That is more of an increase than my hawk or Avantis.

Part of me says I should not sell this one as it is a better investment than the banks or stock market.

It is nice to see such interest in Studebakers
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

That's a purdy car, I like the long commander front fenders better than my champion fenders.

Dean

Comment

Jackmans fabric over here on Lindberg has the alligator vinyl. I think the Deluxe upholstery would bring more return. Try this for your paint mishap:
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

that is a great looking '50 and one of the best ebay ads i've seen in quite awhile!!!

good luck.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          Jackmans fabric over here on Lindberg has the alligator vinyl. I think the Deluxe upholstery would bring more return. Try this for your paint mishap:
          https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...r=dss_yset_chr
          Thanks Brad

Brad is referring to a little accident that occurred in my basement.

I have had a couple gallon cans of Ditzler Red Bombay lacquer paint sitting on the shelf for around 10 years now thinking someday I might use. Prior to this they belonged to a friend whom probably had them close to 20 years. I decided to get them out and see what I had. I had Loma Grey etc for a 53 repaint. They were all stored upside down. I put them on the table in the finished part of the basement to take pictures. I wrote down what I had and came upstairs to verify the colors. Two of them were not for a 53 it turned out. Anyway, while upstairs, I heard a loud "pop". I went to see what had happened and the lid had blown off one of the gallon cans getting some paint on the carpet and on the ceiling. I never had a can of paint explode like this. I took them out to the garage and opened all and all of them had some sort of pressure. The good news is that the Bombay red is still good. The white and grey were questionable so I will dispose of them.
          Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Milt, that is a nice car. I would love to have a matching 50 with overdrive but no extra cash for cars right now. I am curious about your bumper guards you mentioned taking off the car. What kind are they, and are you interested in selling them at all?
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Thanks, the guards are the original Studebaker accessory style where small guards bolt to the top of the bumper guards and then a piece goes in the center between them and a piece goes from each cap to the end of the bumper. I will probably sell once the car is gone, I want to give the new owner first chance at them. Thanks
              Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
              X