Little Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Little Things

Hello All I'm in the prosses of installing a 289 with a t85 short tailshaft in my 55 commander coupe. I had to drill new holes for the bellhouseing mount in the crossmember that went ok but I was not planning on the drivrshaft being to long or the clutch rod being to long also. So should I just shorten my parts or look for 57/8 Golden Hawk parts. The driveshaft seems like a nobrainer and the clutch rod could be cut down without much diffaculty as the hill holder is long gone. Any of you out there in Studeland that have done this swap maybe you could chime in. This is a great forum and I've learned a lot from so meny of you in the last ten years. Thanks

If the car was an automatic before, the driveshaft is about 1 inch longer than that for the manual transmission (overdrive or not).
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

And if the car was an automatic before dont you still have to dial in the bell housing to the engine block?
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

No the car was always a v8/3 sp 259/t86. I was just suprised that the t85 was longer I knew it was wider,it's a beast compaired to the t86.

Comment

Theen you can cut vthe shift linkages shorter or weld up new ones your choice.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

And if the car was an automatic before dont you still have to dial in the bell housing to the engine block?
            No the car was always a v8/3 sp 259/t86.
            Your '55 Commander coupe would have had the earlier square pattern T86, so either the engine or the bell housing has been changed to install a later Ford pattern T85, no?

Is your tranny a T85 from a '57 GH or later T89 from a truck?

Can't tell by looking at the case, as the T89s use the T85 case.

I was just suprised that the t85 was longer I knew it was wider,it's a beast compaired to the t86.
            Yes, the T85 is a really strong tranny. They stand up to use behind the Packard V8. I'm running a T89 in my Packard-powered '55 3/4t and it works well.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I have had a T85 in the 62GT now for around 250,000 miles now. It may take a little ingenuity with linkages and drive-shaft, but it will be the last transmission your car will ever need, since the T85 is as bullet proof as they come.

What is the ratio of the rear end you plan to run? I have always ran a 3.54 in the GT. With 205/75-15 radial tires, it is moving about 78 MPH at 2500 RPM.

Comment

I did put a full flow 289 in the car not sure what the bell houseing is from. the trans is a short tail shaft t85 I think from a 57 Parkard that was modafied to fit a Stude bell housing. I hope this is the last trans that goes in my car I'm 64 and just want to drive the wheels off or die trying. The suspension has been rebuilt, a 373 tt rear end with flanged axles, big disc brakes up front and a duel master cylinder. Went to 12 volt for a better radio and ac, 225 75 15s with fat w/w. Oh and a Hurst shifter bucket seats from a Subaru 3 point belts. A big thanks to all for the input. One of these days I'll post some pictures.

Comment

Working...
                X