• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up side down bumper

To whom told the gentleman next to my 51 Commander that my rear
    bumper was up side down I just want to say thank you. I would never
    have known other wise. Great show.

That wasn't me, but I did notice a rear bumper with the 2 bumper guards on the wrong sides. This made them aimed somewhat outward, rather than straight back.

If you look on the inside of the guards you should see an "R" or an "L". This is the marking for the FRONT bumper, so the "R" guard on the rear will actually be on the LEFT side.

I just went through this on my 1950 Champion when I bought an NOS guard for the right rear of my car. The left front and right rear are the same guard and vice versa.

Comment

I'm not ashamed to say that I have experienced stuff like this before.
      Once it was on the car when I bought it, but once it was of my doing.
      That's one reason to take a LOT of pic's during disassembly.

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        I'm not ashamed to say that I have experienced stuff like this before.
        Once it was on the car when I bought it, but once it was of my doing.
        That's one reason to take a LOT of pic's during disassembly.
        Awww..Jeff you're trying to take all the fun out of things.....
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
          Probably me talking with my buddy. I noticed only because I was looking at 51 rear bumpers hoping to find a good used one at the swap meet. I didn't say anything as I thought you may have had a reason.
          I'm assuming you are talking about the south bend meet? If not, there was another 51 there with the same problem.

Comment

Nels, That was my car. Probably not two cars with the same problem.

Comment

Paul Just tell everyone you where laying on your creeper under the bumper when you put it on and it looked right to you at the time.

Comment

I've had 3 52 Studes over the years and still like them a lot even though I no longer own one . I always check them out at our meets and you wouldn't believe how may 50 , 51 and 52 cars have their bumpers on upside down ( very easy to do ) I have mentioned it to a few owners and I have had mixed reactions from most . I think there are those who think your nuts , some thank you for telling them and then there are those who think your insulting their cars !

I have even mentioned it to a guy in our club who I know didn't believe me and he still drives his car with them upside down !
                I really don't need the hassle any more so now I just don't mention it any more ??
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Did you bring that in from Maine? That's a long trip.

Comment

I've told people that they have the bumper guards on backwards, or have the wrong ones for that year of car. There is a local fellow with a 49 Commander who has Commander guards on the front and Champion guards on the rear. For the most part, they don't want to know, so after the first time, I just leave it alone.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I appreciate the information about my car, even though it's not a show car I want
                      it to be as correct as possible. Thanks for the friendly advice. Yes I drove from Maine
                      to the motel in Mishawaka, 990 miles. We put a total of 2425 miles on it for the trip.
                      We ran down to Kokomo and up to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, MI.
                      Of course it's a Stude so no problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X