Removing dash panel (1966)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Removing dash panel (1966)

Can someone please tell me how I can get the "def" and "heat" knobs off the dash controls so I can remove the dash overlay on my 1966 Cruiser? I need to replace the overlay and that means these knobs have to come off. Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Scott, if they're the same as my 63 Lark they pry off. Just make sure to pry them strait off as there are clips that hold them quite firmly.
    Gary

Comment

Yes, they're the same ones. I'll have to find a way to do it gently so I don't have an accident with them coming off all of a sudden while I'm pulling really hard. I'll use a cloth and pliers, at least. Thanks.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott, I used a tool for removing door clips. It's about the size of a screwdriver and the end is U shaped. It;s necessary to pry on both sides of the lever to keep it level as it comes off.
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by garrilla View Post
          Scott, I used a tool for removing door clips. It's about the size of a screwdriver and the end is U shaped. It;s necessary to pry on both sides of the lever to keep it level as it comes off.
          I see. For any simple task I sense the inevitable hullabaloo over getting it done. I'm glad you told me the kind of tool I need. Thanks.

Comment

I got the tool and got them off. This was almost the easiest thing I've gotten away with. I know my car is keeping track of it's score vs. mine. Right now I think it's about 25 to 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              I got the tool and got them off. This was almost the easiest thing I've gotten away with. I know my car is keeping track of it's score vs. mine. Right now I think it's about 25 to 3.
              That's great! It's always nice when things go as planed.
              Gary

Comment

Yes, it is!
                One more important question: I have the woodgrain/metal applique off the dash panel and I will need to glue the new one in place. Do you know what glue would work best? I'm not inclined to use epoxy because if it produces heat it might damage the woodgrain. The stuff left behind was obviously rather thick and is yellow/brown. I'm planning on scraping most of it off. I wonder if it was hide glue. Whatever I use, it should be able to withstand temperature up to 150 F (hot car in the sun) and maybe -30 or so.

I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Yes, it is!
                  One more important question: I have the woodgrain/metal applique off the dash panel and I will need to glue the new one in place. Do you know what glue would work best? I'm not inclined to use epoxy because if it produces heat it might damage the woodgrain. The stuff left behind was obviously rather thick and is yellow/brown. I'm planning on scraping most of it off. I wonder if it was hide glue. Whatever I use, it should be able to withstand temperature up to 150 F (hot car in the sun) and maybe -30 or so.

I'm open to suggestions.
                  Scott, sorry I can't help with that one. My dash has a sand blasted appearance to it. I have used 520 contact adhesive on many glue ups with success though.
                  Gary

Comment

keeping track

I know mine is!
                    I lost it tonight in the garage, I was swinging a chunk of 4x4 around howling at this car that won't stop leaking.
                    Had to keep my back to it, or I would have taken the glass out.
                    Dropped it off the jack, and smoked the tires off to the street and left it there.
                    I can tell the twin traction is working.
                    The dog won't even look at me now.

Comment

Originally posted by dickeedee View Post
                      I know mine is!
                      I lost it tonight in the garage, I was swinging a chunk of 4x4 around howling at this car that won't stop leaking.
                      Had to keep my back to it, or I would have taken the glass out.
                      Dropped it off the jack, and smoked the tires off to the street and left it there.
                      I can tell the twin traction is working.
                      The dog won't even look at me now.
                      So it's not just me? Maybe you should put a tarp over it for a week or two and pretend it doesn't exist. People tell me anything can be fixed (I don't always believe them).

Comment

It's back in the garage , sitting in the dark, getting a time out.
                        I hope it's thinking about changing its behaviour ...

Comment

Yes, it is!

I'm open to suggestions.
                          3M makes a complete line of automotive spray-on adhesives for specific applications. They work very well if you follow the instructions (and not so good if you don't -- as I know very well). The heaviest duty stuff is number 8090, which is for headliners and stuff subject to gravity. You probably don't need that one. They're available at all automotive paint outlets and many FLAPS.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                            3M makes a complete line of automotive spray-on adhesives for specific applications. They work very well if you follow the instructions (and not so good if you don't -- as I know very well). The heaviest duty stuff is number 8090, which is for headliners and stuff subject to gravity. You probably don't need that one. They're available at all automotive paint outlets and many FLAPS.
                            Thanks, Skip. I'm going to see if I can get any of that stuff in non-spray because I've decided that I can put the new applique panel on with the heavy cast metal panel still in the car. I've taken all the gauges out, but it looks to be still quite a hassle to get that cast piece out. I'm going to look at it again today.
                            Last edited by Scott; 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Some of them are also available in brush-on form. Can't remember which ones. Another thought: drop by a body shop -- they'll recommend the right stuff and maybe sell you a can.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X