Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Oil Pressure gauge hose - '63 Avanti

I remember reading somewhere about an grease gun hose being the same
    as this hose? Anyone know of a braided hose, or a cross reference?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

I've never seen an Avanti oil pressure gauge hose before... but if it's about the same as a grease gun hose, any tractor supply place should be able to make you one with the correct fittings. I had the pressure and return hoses made for my Willys Jeep external oil filter canister this way. It's definately worth a shot, and it's pretty cheap too! I think both oil lines with appropriate new fittings pressed on was about 15 bucks. You may even be able to have the person making the hose for you, salvage your original fittings.

Good luck,

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

It's the same hose as all V8's, a common vendor item.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54,758.75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, from the little research I did today the thread is the same on
        each of the grease gun hoses, 1/8 npt male - both ends. A grease gun
        hose comes in three different lengths - 6", 12" and 18".

Unfortunately, 6" is the length that we want, and it seems to be whats
        included WITH the grease guns, not sold on its own! So far I've only
        checked two places - NAPA and Kragen. I know that its out there, since
        I SAW it in a sealed box with a new grease gun. FYI those hoses are
        rated 3500 to 4000 psi .. easily meeting the 60 psi.

I will keep you all posted with a cross reference soon (hopefully).

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Dumb question. is the grease gun hose so much cheaper then the factory style Studebaker hose and are you sure the rubber is up to the engine heat ? BTW, I tried to Google a 6 inch hose for you, and found only 12 and 18 inch. You could buy a cheap gun for the 6 inch hose, then just replace it with the 12 inch and still have a working gun, just confused as to why.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54,758.75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The stock Stude hose has a 1/8" pipe thread on one end only, that going to the engine. The top end of the hose has a tiny little flare fitting that matches the flare nut on the copper line that goes to the gage. About the ONLY place you'll see that fitting used is on oil gage lines, AFAIK.

Buy the hose from a Stude vendor. You'd need several adaptors to bush down the grease gun hose, or else have to modify the hard line in the car. In fact, buy TWO hoses, one to install, and one to keep in the glove box as a spare. They don't cost much, much less than the consequences of being without one if the old one blows.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Why Why why....other than to be different. there are easier and cheaper ways,Plastic line,copperline.Do you need one? Is yours leaking,cracked?

Comment

The putz that had the car before me put together a tinker toy setup of
                three cheap pipe parts and an electric pressure switch. There are a
                few signs of leakage, and it COULD be worse than it looks if this is
                squirting oil back onto the bellhousing (which it looks like it is). I
                know that the vendors (or one of them) uses a grease gun hose, since I
                got one years ago for one of my dads Studes and it was a 1/8 npt on
                each end with an adapter for the compression fitting. Since I am out
                in California, shipping from any of the vendors makes buying smallish
                parts like this cost "more". A 15 dollar hose costs 10 bucks more. It
                is in the interest of Stude owners to have alternatives. The 12 inch
                hose was 4.99 at Kragen, a compression adapter should be less than 5
                bucks, which means I could have a replacement for 10 bucks. The best
                part is the compression adapter should be reuseable, and the grease
                gun hose will be next day once I have a part number.

Tom

Comment

We are a frugal lot, aren't we .

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

studebakers west is in California. So, the freight should be trivial.

If'n you buy something in CA, then you are going to have to pay CA sales tax. And the vendors external to CA don't charge that tax. That's your own responsibility come tax time ...
                    ========================
                    63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                    Martinez, CA

Comment

So the grease gun hose is $4.99. Now add in the cost of an adaptor fitting. $3 or $4. I look at my time as being worth something. If the vendor sells you a hose for $25.00 shipped, and you spent $15.00, did you save money? Nope. The cost of gas, the time involved, etc., costs more. And while some of us have more time than money, I think that theory only really applies to expensive stuff.

Buy your hose from a vendor and be done with it. And it helps support the hobby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The idea is to get the part number out there for others to benefit. I
                        am not just doing this for me, but for YOU guys as well. Sure I will
                        have to run around to figure it out, but if all goes well, that info
                        will end up on a database like Nate's or Bob's and can be picked up
                        from your local FLAPS the same day you need it. I dont drive a Stude
                        daily anymore, but I bet some of you do, and if that hose starts to
                        leak on you, and you gotta get to work in the AM, picking it up down
                        the road sounds better than waiting a week. Right?

Tom

Comment

I don't know where you've been Tom, Mike & I just sold one on ebay last Sunday for $11.95, we're right here in the West, we charged only $2.00 to ship with NO handling charge AND we're out of Calif. so no tax. Also you could have had it the next day if needed, otherwise 2 days! Frugal or trying to help others? I don't think either makes ANY sense!

I thought all SDC members kept a Fire Extinguisher and a Oil gauge flex line in the car!
                          -No need to buy a grease gun hose at the local True-Value!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

The idea is to get the part number out there for others to benefit. I
                            am not just doing this for me, but for YOU guys as well. Sure I will
                            have to run around to figure it out, but if all goes well, that info
                            will end up on a database like Nate's or Bob's and can be picked up
                            from your local FLAPS the same day you need it. I dont drive a Stude
                            daily anymore, but I bet some of you do, and if that hose starts to
                            leak on you, and you gotta get to work in the AM, picking it up down
                            the road sounds better than waiting a week. Right?

Tom
                            Tom, I'm really glad you are looking out for my interests this way, but I figure if ever need to adapt a grease gun hose for an oil pressure line, I can figure it out for myself. I just figure this is a really poor place to try to save money; the right part costs so little, and they are readily available. Like I said before, order TWO of them, one to use and one for spare. If you have a spare one in the glove box, you can be the hero when somebody else's Stude has on oil hemhorrage at a show and shine. Remember, these things are so small and light that two should ship as cheaply as one, anyway.

Trying to make a replacement for this hose is on a par with knitting floor mats out of used rubber bands off the broccoli.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by gordr

knitting floor mats out of used rubber bands off the broccoli.

ROFLMAO!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X