CL Flipper alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL Flipper alert

I'm sure this is the same car that was listed on Chattanooga CL for $6,500 from last summer till the price recently dropped to $5,500 a week or so ago. Now, some enterprising soul is offering it for $8,500 in S. Carolina. Hey, it's a free country. Flipping's not illegal But that's a heck of a markup for someone who's owned it for a week and done no more work (at least that's described). So, I don't feel bad letting forum members in on it.

[IMG]http://thumbnails105.********.com/40752/0ab7d7407519950.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails107.********.com/40752/d2b12e407519951.jpg[/IMG]

Been on the Nashville,TN CL for many months and still is for $6500 in Spring Hill,TN, also found it in Atlanta,GA CL....my scamometer says 'full tilt'

Comment

It's a Streerod! That should add some value, there's not many of those!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I admire the "flipper" for trying to make a quick buck while exerting zero effort. If he can find someone willing to pay his price, more power to him, it is just capitalism at work. You are never going to catch a fish without a line in the water...

Comment

Every car dealer (used and new) makes a living "flipping"...Some members of this forum among them.

I personally see nothing wrong with buying undervalued items, selling at market price and making a buck in the process. Is there a better economic system?

Of course the buyer may have guessed wrong and will not make a profit...or he may have a way to inexpensively add value to the vehicle and/or be better at marketing than the seller and make some money. In any case I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. Enlighten me.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            It's a Streerod! That should add some value, there's not many of those!
            Rich,
            You certainly are predictable. Meant as a compliment of course.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              Every car dealer (used and new) makes a living "flipping"...Some members of this forum among them.

I personally see nothing wrong with buying undervalued items, selling at market price and making a buck in the process. Is there a better economic system?

Of course the buyer may have guessed wrong and will not make a profit...or he may have a way to inexpensively add value to the vehicle and/or be better at marketing than the seller and make some money. In any case I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. Enlighten me.
              Bingo!

Every successful business enterprise was built on selling for a higher price than the cost of goods. No one decries Warren Buffett for doing it in the stock market, why do people always feel the need to criticize an enterprising individual trying to make a buck? The end result is that the market determines the price and if this car sells for more than it did the last time it is helping pull up the value of our own vehicles, which is exactly what our widows want.

Comment

I figure someone here probably has sent the seller a note telling him just how much profit he is allowed to make.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

Well, how can we "enlighten" you? You are already "Ligntened!" The fact that lots of folks don't understand the concept of "free enterprise," is a reflection of our educational system as it relates to "economics."

The true economists of our world are busy making money. While the so-called economists are second rate "wanna-bee's" (miss)teaching economics and demonstrating envy, and hatred for those succeeding in it. For me...the value of something depends on whether or not I am a seller or buyer.

"Enter-prize" is where the buyer and the seller "enter" into negotiation to "pry" "Money" and "Item" from each other.

Sad to say, I'm an expert in neither. I've never set the world on fire as an "entrepreneur."

However...I will proudly admit to being a pretty darned good "scrounger."
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"which is exactly what our widows want."

You got that right. ;->
                    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

As I said, "It's a free country," and if he/she succeeds at selling at that mark-up, that IS a savvy piece of free enterprise. But nothing wrong either with being a careful marketplace observer.

Comment

Seldom does a seller get, or anticipate getting his/her asking price.

'Gotta start somewhere.
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

I recently bought a Studebaker at an unusually low price. I did some minor work to the car and "flipped" it for 10 times what I paid. I thought I had done pretty well, even though I had left some meat on the bone, so to speak. Well, then I saw that the buyer had the car for sale for double what I sold it for. The car is still priced fairly at his asking price. So, who's the evil flipper?
                          sals54

Comment

Guys, I never said "evil." Look again at the original post. I said the words "free country" and "enterprising soul." There is nothing wrong to alerting fellow forum members about a substantial markup with out any apparent improvements.

Comment

I have heard time and again that you make the money on a car when you buy it, not when you sell it. Key is to find a car at an under valued price, or with some simple needs you can do then turn it around at a fair market price. How successful this particular seller will be remains to be seen. And we do not know what he paid for it, only what the previous seller was asking.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X