PDA

View Full Version : Body: hinge pins

jbjr
05-01-2015, 04:29 PM
I need to replace the hinge pins on my 3R5 soon. Will I need to rebuild the hinge after or can I just heat up the hinge to remove the pin? Some say that the pin needs to be drilled out with a jig, others say just heat up the hinge and pull it out. Which way is the best?

Skip Lackie
05-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Have you considered posting your query over on the Stude Truck Talk site? About a year ago, detailed instructions on how to rebuild those hinges were posted there. In addition, I believe Ted Jensen lives near you and might have some rebuilt ones.

sweetolbob
05-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I don't know trucks but generally the problem with old hinge pins is they rust in the bottom and break. That leaves it difficult to drive them out which is generally what one would like to do. Most pins have a serrated section just under the top to hold the pins from turning and you drive them up from underneath.

If the lower section of the pin is rusted into the hinge then I usually resort to drilling from the bottom. Start with a drill the size of the hole and go far enough to make a center point in the pin. Stop and go to smaller size drills to try to get the pin as thin as possible. Hopefully you can get a punch through the lower section and drive/push the upper part out. The sections are now separate and you can get at the lower section to remove the rusted section.

If you do damage them the hinge will need to be reamed. If oversize pins are not available, there are a ton of pins available for other makes that will be larger. You can go to them although you may need to shorten them.

If the pin still turns in the lower section, the pin is still in one piece and a lot of lube and a punch should work. It's usually easier if the hinge is upside down in a vise or held solid. Just don't get overexcited with the punch early as I've seen the lower section expanded just enough to make it difficult to remove with out drilling.

Heat, lube and time are your friends here. Bob

jbjr
05-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the help and yes Ted lives a few houses down from me , but I want to try to get the pins out myself.

altair
05-05-2015, 08:06 AM
I have taken hinge pins out by cutting them in half with a Dremel then driving the halves out.

jbjr
05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
thanks, I am going to get to them this week ( I hope )