Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car will not keep a straight line on the highway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: car will not keep a straight line on the highway.

hi its me again,driving my 64 cruiser on the expressway I can not keep the car in a straight line,by that I mean that I'm always correcting the wheel to keep the car going in a straight line. thanks in advance.

Had same issue with our Wagonaire. Upon close inspection of front end found the upper control arm bushings completely worn out with the lowers not far behind. Rebuilt entire front suspension with new coil springs.
    And followed with front end alignment, problem solved.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

As 57pack mentioned, you need to do a front end inspection.

If you don't have a workshop manual its best to get one. It will answer many of your questions and once a problem is identified it will guide you through, for the most part, how to remedy it.

At this point there are too many variables to give you a conclusive answer, other than its more than likely at the front end of the car. Once the inspection is done, and hopefully, the part that is worn or out of adjustment is found, then the solutions will usually come hand over fist.

Len

Comment

Make sure your alignment guy reads the shop manual. Front steer cars don't respond well unless you align them as shown. Good luck.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

thanks to all of you,i will check it out.

Comment

There could be problems with the bellcrank. Mine had some wear and the steering was much better after I rebuilt it.

Comment

.... and the bellcrank pinch bolt....

Comment

Another possible cause: bellcrank bushing or kingpin bushings that are too tight due to lack of lube, which prevents the self-centering action of the caster designed into your suspension. Wheels return almost to center after a maneuver, but you are still drifting a little one way. You make a correction, and wheels almost return to center after the correction, but you still drift one way or the other. People sometimes describe such steering behavior as darty. Many of the other problems described above will manifest as a pull, the tendency of the car to consistently drift in one direction.

In any case, get the car on the hoist, and lubricate it thoroughly according to the shop manual, and inspect all steering and suspension parts for wear and/or damage. Don't neglect the front tires.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The front end lube includes getting grease to the TOP of the thrust bearings.
                  Old dried grease in the bearing prevents the new grease getting into and thru to the top.
                  If you don't see grease coming out the top, you need to take creative measures.
                  Do a search to find things that people have done. Heat, clamps.
                  Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 04-28-2015, 10:43 PM. Reason: added the letter S to bearing
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Could the line on the road be crooked? LOL
                    Jim Rostron

Comment

Working...
                    X