Connecting Rod Pinch Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Connecting Rod Pinch Bolt

I am about 1/2 way thru a 1957 289 overhaul and discovered a potential problem. One cylinder (#6) has the pinch bolt lock nut on the wrong side. The rod offset is correct, as is the oil squirt hole and rod #. Does the pinch bolt lock the piston pin, no matter which direction it is installed? I would rather not remove that piston, if the pinch bolt will do its job, as is. Thanks for any advice.

No, the nut has to be on the side that is slotted or half cut missing. The side it is on now is the way you would install the nut IF you wanted to pull the clinch bolt out.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

11SecAvanti,
      Will the clinch bolt work (do its job) if put in from either side, as long as the nut is on the slotted/half cut side? Thanks for your response.

Comment

Good question, there is a taper cut or channel mark stain on these bolts when removed where one end of the flat channel is wider to form a wedge it seems. Might be ok but not to factory specs. The main thing is for the clinch bolt to not back out or run loose. It is impossible to remove the clinch bolt with the piston and rod in the bore. Piston has to be extracted and rocked over for the bolt to clear the inside wall of the piston. It is a close clearance to remove them and not lock it inadvertently against the inner wall. Someone needs to host up a video on the procedure because seeing explains it better.
        Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

11SecAvanti,
          Thanks for your advice. I am going to pull that piston and correct the bolt, just for piece of mind. I hope the clinch bolt "backs out" easily and all I have to do is turn it around, without moving the rod/pin relationship.

Comment

Got it changed today. It was locked in as it was, but if the pin flat is shaped to match the clinch bolt flat (same taper), then it needed to be changed. I didn't have to remove the pin, so I don't know what its flat looks like. My thanks again to 11SecAvanti for his comments.

Comment

Working...
            X