Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Restoration

Hey Guys
    Well I found a restoration shop thanks to some fellow members of my local SDC I feel that my 50 Champion is now in good hands at my authorized local Studebaker Repair Shop. Prior to taking her in for restoration the engine, trans, bumpers, and trim were removed for rebuild and chrome work. As I was told to expect the shop has found a few surprises in the sheet metal but the guy doing the work is excellent and all repairs are being completed in a very professional manner. The car has been disassembled and soon the paint will be stripped to bare metal. I am very confident that she will be better than new and I anticipate the rebirth of the Champion sometime this Summer. Take a look and give me any feedback that you think will be helpful in the restoration process. Thanks as always

Studebaker Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	RES Trip PS GS.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1746829Click image for larger version

Name:	RES Trip front DS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1746830Click image for larger version

Name:	RES Trip on the road again.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1746831Click image for larger version

Name:	RES Trip at the door of Studebaker Heaven.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1746832Click image for larger version

Name:	RES Back no seat.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1746833Click image for larger version

Name:	RES DS Open Doors.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1746834Click image for larger version

Name:	RES No Wheel.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1746835Click image for larger version

Name:	RES PS Back.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1746836Click image for larger version

Name:	RES PS No front end.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1746837Click image for larger version

Name:	RES No front end.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1746839

WOW, I had no idea you were going to take it down that far. I guess at this point it wouldn't be much more work to do a frame off and put the body on a rotisserie.
    Was the spare tire well hard to remove? What was wrong with it? Thanks, Tom

Did you find the correct oil bath yet?

Comment

When one becomes enamored of Studebakers, I cannot over-emphasize the importance of finding and joining your local SDC Chapter.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey Tom
        The guy doing the restoration is also a member of my local SDC and I must say that I have seen his work and it is exceptional. The detail and attention that has went into my build is impressive. I had a conversation with him regarding a body off and he told me that the car is in to good of shape to justify the cost. Most of the frame has the original paint on it and all supports are in good shape so he is going to clean it up and paint the bottom. His exact words were that "Some people need a frame off for bragging rights.......you can brag that your body did not need to be taken off the frame but when I get finished with it few will be able to tell". I did however decide to have him rebuild the suspension to give me that like new 1950 ride. As for the spare tire well the bottom collected water over the years and it rusted out. He removed it and will use the frame to fab up a new one. A fiberglass replacement is available but I want the original steel look. A buddy of mine is rebuilding the engine and trans and the block is currently at the machine shop. I will get them up to the restoration shop when finished and intend to drive the old girl back home under her own power. I am looking forward to seeing her returned to Bermuda Green in a color sanded base clear paint. It hurts a little in the pocket book but this one deserved to be restored and I will enjoy driving her around in Carolina for many years to come. I still find it amazing that the Champion was delivered to Charlotte just a few miles south if hear in 1950 and stayed local her hole life. As for the oil bath a member on hear seen I needed one and sent it my way.......Thanks Champ51 and I hope to buy you a beer someday and show you the car!!!

Ron

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          When one becomes enamored of Studebakers, I cannot over-emphasize the importance of finding and joining your local SDC Chapter.
          I agree with you 100%. If anyone is just getting into the hobby go join your local SDC!!! Studebaker folks are by far a different breed and tend to help one another out much more than the average car guy. The restoration is being done to save a little piece of history that I can enjoy driving and at the same time share with people. Still amazed at the attention that the Bullet Nose gets after 65 years.....Should be a head turner after her face lift

Ron
          Last edited by Studebaker Ron; 04-25-2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I figured that the bottom of the spare well rusted out because the first 1950 Studebaker Commander I bought in El Paso was totally rust free except the bottom of the spare wheel well. This was in 1969, and I found another Commander in the junk yard, so the owner used his torch to cut it out and sell it to me for $5. I still haven't installed it yet though.

Comment

Hey Tom
              If water gets in the well and it sits they will all rust out in time. I am still looking for a good chrome place......do you have any leads on that?

Thanks
              Ron

Comment

Ron,
                It's great that you were able to find a restoration shop where the guy doing the work really knows Studebakers. It's a win/win situation. It looks like it's coming along really well.
                I think we're all looking forward to the finished product. All the best.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

re: the chrome, if i needed any work done, i'd contact Jerry Forrester - nearby in GA. he's a member here and has a quite excellent reputation. contact him and see if he can get it turned around in time for the rest of the restoration.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                    re: the chrome, if i needed any work done, i'd contact Jerry Forrester - nearby in GA. he's a member here and has a quite excellent reputation. contact him and see if he can get it turned around in time for the rest of the restoration.
                    Hey Kerry
                    Thanks for bringing up Jerry Forrester as I have heard his name before. Any chance you have his contact info? Thanks in advance and I am sure you will see my Champion in person someday as I intend to driver her all over Carolina for SDC meets. I got the bug and with the money from a house sale I will get the old girl looking good for her 65th birthday

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron... Your getting the work done with the right guy... That is my Red '55 Champion Delux that is in your 10 pic....I trust David ...

I sent you a pm...
                      Last edited by 55champion; 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the leads guys

Ron

Comment

Working...
                        X