Urgent:Need pictures of Studebaker signs on Ad. Bldg. and "84"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent:Need pictures of Studebaker signs on Ad. Bldg. and "84"

Kevin Smith asked me to appeal to the Club for pictures of the Studebaker signs that were on the roofs of both buildings. He would like to replicate one to light up over South Bend for it's 150th anniversary which should be possible being as he also owns Deluxe Sheet Metal. I can't find any really good ones and am hoping someone (Mr. Quinn?) could come up with some. I also remember letters owned by a member named George from Penn. and wonder where they came from and could possibly be used as a template. Be neat to see Studebaker lighting up the South Bend skyline again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Wow! What a great idea! Would love to see progress photos and story updates.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Did the Administration Building ever have a verticle neon STUDEBAKER sign, similar to a Dealership sign, on the lower level? I seem to remember seeing an old Photo showing it with one.

Comment

Here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=rohrbach

Craig

Comment

Thats my sign we just put up on the roof of "84" for the 50th anniversary of the plant closing.

Comment

Tim I enjoyed your sign lit up at night on 84 and tour you gave in 2012. A roof top sign would be awesome and hope it all works out . Nice to see the history of Studebaker being saved and respected . As a kid I remember driving thru the Studebaker corridor and felt it was possible to restart production any moment . South Bend has been and will be a special place for my family . Ed

Comment

The photo that I had seen was of that style (verticle, light blue porcelain, neon) but mounted on the main level. More visible to street traffic. Now if I can only remember where I spotted it! I think it was at one of the corners of the building.

Comment

Not my pic. I would love to see this sign reproduced. I think Richard Quinn has a real nice one with a train he posted before.

Comment

Comment

John aka Bordeax Daytona glad you posted this picture and agree it would be a nice addition to the Administration Building. Ed

Comment

I don't know if that sign ever lit up, if not strip led lights are pretty cheap nowdays and look impressive too.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                        Kevin Smith asked me to appeal to the Club for pictures of the Studebaker signs that were on the roofs of both buildings. He would like to replicate one to light up over South Bend for it's 150th anniversary which should be possible being as he also owns Deluxe Sheet Metal. I can't find any really good ones and am hoping someone (Mr. Quinn?) could come up with some. I also remember letters owned by a member named George from Penn. and wonder where they came from and could possibly be used as a template. Be neat to see Studebaker lighting up the South Bend skyline again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
                        Yes, I have numerous photos of the Administration Building going back to c1909. Have Mr. Smith contact me direct.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I will forward this info to Kevin and his great crew. I think he'll find the train picture very interesting being a train buff and restoring Union Station. I'm also still very curious about the large letters spelling Studebaker and what building they were on owned by a member named George and if I remember they were gotten from a field next to Sasco many years ago. Also thanks as always to Mr. Quinn and a pm has been sent. Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
                            Thank you all for your responses. I will forward this info to Kevin and his great crew. I think he'll find the train picture very interesting being a train buff and restoring Union Station. I'm also still very curious about the large letters spelling Studebaker and what building they were on owned by a member named George and if I remember they were gotten from a field next to Sasco many years ago. Also thanks as always to Mr. Quinn and a pm has been sent. Tim
                            The large letters were owned by George Rohrbach, he told me at York that he sold them. I'm sure he will chime in here soon.
                            JS
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                            X