America Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America Dreaming

Check out the concept for the Golden Hawk !
    Detroit inspired the nation with its innovative auto designs of the 1950s and 60s. But most of those designs were never released by the automakers. Like most of the early-stage artwork created by Detroit's design studios, they’ve been destroyed. The car companies routinely shredded early sketches for fear they would fall into the wrong hands. But some of them did sneak their way out of the design studios of Ford, GM and Chrysler.

Which one is supposed to be a Golden Hawk? I missed it.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      Which one is supposed to be a Golden Hawk? I missed it.
      It's the 4th one down. It is gold in color and has Golden Hawk script on the upper left corner of the grille. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

4th one down? Am I looking at the wrong video?
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Didn't see no Golden Hawk design either, I keep on watching the wrong video on & on...

Comment

You have scroll down to see it.

Comment

Yes, just scroll down and don't click on the arrow in the first picture.

BTW, the cars Studebaker built in the 50's beat the concept cars by a mile in looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                You have scroll down to see it.
                Okay, I got it now. I was watching the video and didn't realize there were pictures below. I'm not sure how I feel about that Hawk design.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yep, did see it, way to boring Ford-ugly for me, would've changed my way of looking at Studebaker for sure...

Comment

Am I wrong, or is it not misstated when you scroll down that Packard bought Studebaker!! Wasn't it the other way around, that being the reason that Packard disappeared??

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                      Am I wrong, or is it not misstated when you scroll down that Packard bought Studebaker!! Wasn't it the other way around, that being the reason that Packard disappeared??
                      Nope...I think it was Packard that bought Studebaker. Then...Studebaker proceeded to eat Packard from the inside. Kinda crude description, but a sad note for both entities.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No they are correct, Packard is the ONE that had the M$NEY! Studebaker was broke.
                        Yes it always appeared the other way around because the Studebaker, their Plant and Management survived the "Merger" and Packard did not.

The Detroit Packard Plant was just not up to the challenge to build Studebakers let alone Packards, just too small and too Old and outdated.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well... it might be "Ford ugly," but I kinda like the design. Actually, quite a bit more than the front end treatment used on the Hawk.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Del-CoatesStudebaker1957.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1696390
                          All except the tail fin design. If this had the tail of the Gran Turismo, then it might be perfect.
                          Am I the only one who looked at this design and thought, "oh, Avanti!"
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Norbert-Ostrowski-AMC-Matador-mid-1960s-1024x460.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1696391

Thanks for posting the link, Bob. It was very interesting.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Read "The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company" by James A. Ward. Fascinating story! The interesting thing is that the author pointed out that Cadillac was in the similar situation when the new millennium started as far as how there reputation and market share fell.

The author included everything such as the Curtiss-Wright management agreement, having Churchill become president and the irony of Hugh Ferry, former President of the Packard Motor Car Company was the person that suggested that " the Corporation give serious consideration to discontinue the Packard line in 1959 if sales of that particular line are not improved" Packard died, Lark was born

I am going to keep checking when this comes on my local PBS station. Should be a great show

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                            X