PDA

View Full Version : Rechroming costs - 53 coupe

rocinante
05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to restore my 53 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe. One of the big costs will be chrome plating. I counted 29 pieces including the following, all requiring replating but in otherwise good shape (no pits or dents):
2 taillamps
2 grille shells
2 grille bars
2 bumpers
2 bumper guards
one rear bumper guard (around plate area)
windshield molding
belt molding & window trim
trunk handle
emblems - hood "S", 2 qtr panel "S", 1 hood tristar

Can anyone give me a rough BALLPARK idea what rechroming all these pieces would cost? I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into here! [:0] Thanks for any comments! :)
Charles Schneider

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5

55s
05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
I paid about 3K Cdn about 7 years ago.

I understand chroming costs have doubled. Plating white metal is also problematic, because each pit needs to be drilled out and filled or buffed/ground out. Sometimes details and sharp corners are lost.

I was also given a choice of grades: Shiny with a few pits, almost show- a couple of pits possible but may be as good as show, and show - they work at it until its perfect.

In any case, few chromers will give you a price until they actually see the quality of the chrome they are starting with.

Thank god much of the chrome got changed to stainless for 1955!

Paul

55s
05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
I paid about 3K Cdn about 7 years ago.

I understand chroming costs have doubled. Plating white metal is also problematic, because each pit needs to be drilled out and filled or buffed/ground out. Sometimes details and sharp corners are lost.

I was also given a choice of grades: Shiny with a few pits, almost show- a couple of pits possible but may be as good as show, and show - they work at it until its perfect.

In any case, few chromers will give you a price until they actually see the quality of the chrome they are starting with.

Thank god much of the chrome got changed to stainless for 1955!

Paul

N8N
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Paul,

a lot of the *little* bits got changed for '55, but just try getting the four big front end pieces done... I saw a whole set at SB that was nicely replated, the guy was asking $1400 - and got it. :(

nate

(was kind of hoping he wouldn't sell the set so I could buy the one parking light housing...)

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

N8N
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Paul,

a lot of the *little* bits got changed for '55, but just try getting the four big front end pieces done... I saw a whole set at SB that was nicely replated, the guy was asking $1400 - and got it. :(

nate

(was kind of hoping he wouldn't sell the set so I could buy the one parking light housing...)

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

55s
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Nate: I'm afraid to say that 1400 for a nice replated front is pretty good. My only regrets include plating headlight rims before the repros became available, and when there were plenty of NOS ones out there.

The 53s had tons of chrome around the windows, all of which got changed to stainless for us! But you know that!

Paul

55s
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Nate: I'm afraid to say that 1400 for a nice replated front is pretty good. My only regrets include plating headlight rims before the repros became available, and when there were plenty of NOS ones out there.

The 53s had tons of chrome around the windows, all of which got changed to stainless for us! But you know that!

Paul

Roscomacaw
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
It depends on what sorta finish you expect. I just looked at a Speedster near here that's being redone. This guy's noted for throwing WADS of money at his projects because he wants it "perfecto".
But this time, he skimped on the chrome. Maybe "skimped" ain't the right word. But either way, he ended up with the pot metal parts looking beautifully chromed but horribly disfigured after the shop simply GROUND away any pits that there were![xx(][xx(][xx(] Consequently, you he has grossly contorted parts with relatively nice plating on them. And the plater was tickled with the job he handed this guy back.
I don't know how much he paid to have this stuff done, but I'd bet it wasn't cheap. And whether or not the guy bitched about how his brightwork had been ruined, it would cost a hell of a bunch JUST to round up another set of stuff to have someone else do correctly.

SO.... ASK POINTEDLY, what kind of work they do to restore the pot metal stuff. If they don't have the expertise or the desire to fix and fill the pits (and you want stellar-looking brightwork on your car), leave them and find someone else.;)

Bumpers are easily done by any good chrome shop. I had a full set done by a good place in Los Angeles last summer (53 coupe) and the bill came to $430.00 That included the guards too.

As to the pot metal parts, I inquired to one of the specialty chrome shops in the midwest. For the Tri-Star from the hood, two taillight bodies and the trunk handle - pits repaired and show chromed - $650.00 was the estimate. And that was without him actually SEEING the parts in question.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
It depends on what sorta finish you expect. I just looked at a Speedster near here that's being redone. This guy's noted for throwing WADS of money at his projects because he wants it "perfecto".
But this time, he skimped on the chrome. Maybe "skimped" ain't the right word. But either way, he ended up with the pot metal parts looking beautifully chromed but horribly disfigured after the shop simply GROUND away any pits that there were![xx(][xx(][xx(] Consequently, you he has grossly contorted parts with relatively nice plating on them. And the plater was tickled with the job he handed this guy back.
I don't know how much he paid to have this stuff done, but I'd bet it wasn't cheap. And whether or not the guy bitched about how his brightwork had been ruined, it would cost a hell of a bunch JUST to round up another set of stuff to have someone else do correctly.

SO.... ASK POINTEDLY, what kind of work they do to restore the pot metal stuff. If they don't have the expertise or the desire to fix and fill the pits (and you want stellar-looking brightwork on your car), leave them and find someone else.;)

Bumpers are easily done by any good chrome shop. I had a full set done by a good place in Los Angeles last summer (53 coupe) and the bill came to $430.00 That included the guards too.

As to the pot metal parts, I inquired to one of the specialty chrome shops in the midwest. For the Tri-Star from the hood, two taillight bodies and the trunk handle - pits repaired and show chromed - $650.00 was the estimate. And that was without him actually SEEING the parts in question.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I know that there is probably not a lot on NOS potmetal still available for your car, but I think it is worth it to do a long and hard search to see if you can come up with any, NOS is generally cheaper than repl;ating and you end up with a spare part that you could have rechromed should the nos piece become damaged.

05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I know that there is probably not a lot on NOS potmetal still available for your car, but I think it is worth it to do a long and hard search to see if you can come up with any, NOS is generally cheaper than repl;ating and you end up with a spare part that you could have rechromed should the nos piece become damaged.

dclewallen
05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm facing the same problems with my 53. You mentioned that some of the pot metal stuff was changed to SS in 55. Does this include the pot metal trim below the windows? Are any of the things changed the same part as on a 53? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

dclewallen
05-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm facing the same problems with my 53. You mentioned that some of the pot metal stuff was changed to SS in 55. Does this include the pot metal trim below the windows? Are any of the things changed the same part as on a 53? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

N8N
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Bob, if your friend with the Speedster decides to get the chrome redone, I have some parking light housing cores that are going up on eBay in a week or two. I just wanna get rid of them, so no reasonable offer refused. They need a LOT of filling, and all the pass. sides need repair in the bumper bolt area. Have him drop me an email if he's interested. The center grill and v-bar are not nearly as hard to find decent used.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

N8N
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Bob, if your friend with the Speedster decides to get the chrome redone, I have some parking light housing cores that are going up on eBay in a week or two. I just wanna get rid of them, so no reasonable offer refused. They need a LOT of filling, and all the pass. sides need repair in the bumper bolt area. Have him drop me an email if he's interested. The center grill and v-bar are not nearly as hard to find decent used.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

JDP
05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I paid $4800 4 years ago for a 57 Golden Hawk, the coupe should be a bit cheaper, but then prices have gone up, so that should be ball park figure unless your pot metal is pitted badly.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

JDP
05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I paid $4800 4 years ago for a 57 Golden Hawk, the coupe should be a bit cheaper, but then prices have gone up, so that should be ball park figure unless your pot metal is pitted badly.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

Jeff_H
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I had chrome for my '53 K done over a period of about 4yrs with 3 different places.

Outfit #1 I tried out with the grill shells only. They were gone for a year and I spent the last 6 months of that pestering the shop and even getting my CC provider involved to put some leverage. Cost somewhere around $400 (its about 8yrs ago now). The shells were rough and they did a OK job given what they had to work with. The chrome is a little thin tho and the copper is starting to come out now. Place went out of business since.

Outfit #2 I had do the front and rear bumpers and the front guards. The place had a drop off at a local body supply shop so I just left them there and picked up about 2-3 months later. Excellent work. About $500 or so. They only do bumpers though.

Outfit #3. From bad experience with #1, I sent the rest of my pot metal (except grill shells and rear Tri-star) to place recommended by a 3rd party. Nightmare! It took 3yrs and threat of legal action by the DA's office in that city to get my parts back. I made the mistake of paying by check after getting a quote (this was after I sent the parts in for their inspection). It all seemed reasonable going in.... Turned out the shop was run by dirtbags. I did get my parts back and they did do a decent job on them though. I think the lady(?) that ran the office was the bigger crook than the guy in the back. Cost $1100 and many grey hairs, phone bills, and sleepness nights.

Total about $2k for work done. When it was looking pretty black on #3, I pieced together nearly a full set of replacement parts since it looked like I was SOL there for a while. So, the total cost was even more.

If I go through this again, I might seriously look into DIY. There are plating supply outfits that can set up the small shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff_H
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I had chrome for my '53 K done over a period of about 4yrs with 3 different places.

Outfit #1 I tried out with the grill shells only. They were gone for a year and I spent the last 6 months of that pestering the shop and even getting my CC provider involved to put some leverage. Cost somewhere around $400 (its about 8yrs ago now). The shells were rough and they did a OK job given what they had to work with. The chrome is a little thin tho and the copper is starting to come out now. Place went out of business since.

Outfit #2 I had do the front and rear bumpers and the front guards. The place had a drop off at a local body supply shop so I just left them there and picked up about 2-3 months later. Excellent work. About $500 or so. They only do bumpers though.

Outfit #3. From bad experience with #1, I sent the rest of my pot metal (except grill shells and rear Tri-star) to place recommended by a 3rd party. Nightmare! It took 3yrs and threat of legal action by the DA's office in that city to get my parts back. I made the mistake of paying by check after getting a quote (this was after I sent the parts in for their inspection). It all seemed reasonable going in.... Turned out the shop was run by dirtbags. I did get my parts back and they did do a decent job on them though. I think the lady(?) that ran the office was the bigger crook than the guy in the back. Cost $1100 and many grey hairs, phone bills, and sleepness nights.

Total about $2k for work done. When it was looking pretty black on #3, I pieced together nearly a full set of replacement parts since it looked like I was SOL there for a while. So, the total cost was even more.

If I go through this again, I might seriously look into DIY. There are plating supply outfits that can set up the small shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

rockne10
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I had the thirteen pieces around the windows, two tri-stars, two v-8's from rear fenders and two rear view mirror bases repaired and triple plated to show quality for $1700. Sent the same shop my grills and, after they had soda blasted them, they said they were too gone for them to do but recommended another shop. There was no charge from the first shop.

The second shop soldered all the pits in the grills and did another beautiful job for $1600.

Both shops looked at parts first and quoted a price. The first shop required no payment until completed. The second shop required 50% up front and the balance upon completion. Both shops took 3-4 months and both gauranteed the work.

It should be noted on NOS or repo chrome, neither will be as good as quality triple plating. The originals were not triple plated and the chrome was thin and sealed with a clear coat. Repops with good chrome would be prohibitively priced to be profitable.

I have yet to do the light rims, bumpers and wing vent frames.

SASCO does still have the license guard bumper NOS and SI has repoped the tri-star, the "S" and the rear fender medallions.

rockne10
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I had the thirteen pieces around the windows, two tri-stars, two v-8's from rear fenders and two rear view mirror bases repaired and triple plated to show quality for $1700. Sent the same shop my grills and, after they had soda blasted them, they said they were too gone for them to do but recommended another shop. There was no charge from the first shop.

The second shop soldered all the pits in the grills and did another beautiful job for $1600.

Both shops looked at parts first and quoted a price. The first shop required no payment until completed. The second shop required 50% up front and the balance upon completion. Both shops took 3-4 months and both gauranteed the work.

It should be noted on NOS or repo chrome, neither will be as good as quality triple plating. The originals were not triple plated and the chrome was thin and sealed with a clear coat. Repops with good chrome would be prohibitively priced to be profitable.

I have yet to do the light rims, bumpers and wing vent frames.

SASCO does still have the license guard bumper NOS and SI has repoped the tri-star, the "S" and the rear fender medallions.

52hawk
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Sore subject here... Took my Hawk stuff in about 3 months ago.Turn-around time '6 weeks'....Not back yet.my guestimate on your stuff though-$3k.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

52hawk
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Sore subject here... Took my Hawk stuff in about 3 months ago.Turn-around time '6 weeks'....Not back yet.my guestimate on your stuff though-$3k.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

imported_n/a
05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Hearing about those scenarios, I hate to think what it will cost (and how long it will take) to replate pitted 58 Packard belt line moldings, tailight housings, trunk handle, scoopbezel, wing vents, and the moldings around the tailight housings. [:0]Recently, I had the valve and valley cover(s) "tanked" at the machine shop. except for some pitting at the rear of the valley cover, which has some rust pitting, they are in very good shape. Was thinking of plating them, too. But, the valve covers have dimples from factory spot welds all across them to secure some inner braces, which may make plating them impractical.

imported_n/a
05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Hearing about those scenarios, I hate to think what it will cost (and how long it will take) to replate pitted 58 Packard belt line moldings, tailight housings, trunk handle, scoopbezel, wing vents, and the moldings around the tailight housings. [:0]Recently, I had the valve and valley cover(s) "tanked" at the machine shop. except for some pitting at the rear of the valley cover, which has some rust pitting, they are in very good shape. Was thinking of plating them, too. But, the valve covers have dimples from factory spot welds all across them to secure some inner braces, which may make plating them impractical.

N8N
05-15-2006, 08:53 PM
the factory chromed valve covers also showed the spot welds, they were not perfectly smoothed prior to plating. Of course they didn't have factory chrome valve covers in '58 but I get the impression that that does not bother you :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

N8N
05-15-2006, 08:53 PM
the factory chromed valve covers also showed the spot welds, they were not perfectly smoothed prior to plating. Of course they didn't have factory chrome valve covers in '58 but I get the impression that that does not bother you :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Alan
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
It depends on where you are at and how much you want to do yourself. Here in L.A. there is a guy that will do the bumpers for $235 each including the guards and overriders, 1 week most, turn around time. No payment till you pick them up. A few bucks extra if you want show chrome. The pot metal parts are more expensive, it cost me $500 for 2 grill surrounds, grill bars, 2 headlight rims, 2 tail light housings that's for the 53 plus 2 headlight rims for my 63 Champ truck. I did all the filling and grinding on the bad parts and insides the things came out better than new. But it is not a fun or clean job I know why they get that money I would rather someone else got miners lung from grinding.

Alan
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
It depends on where you are at and how much you want to do yourself. Here in L.A. there is a guy that will do the bumpers for $235 each including the guards and overriders, 1 week most, turn around time. No payment till you pick them up. A few bucks extra if you want show chrome. The pot metal parts are more expensive, it cost me $500 for 2 grill surrounds, grill bars, 2 headlight rims, 2 tail light housings that's for the 53 plus 2 headlight rims for my 63 Champ truck. I did all the filling and grinding on the bad parts and insides the things came out better than new. But it is not a fun or clean job I know why they get that money I would rather someone else got miners lung from grinding.

imported_n/a
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
N8n, if it is feasible to plate the spotweld-blemished covers and hae them look decent, I guess I will. The Packebaker will love having some chrome on the engine, too. And, Alan--you prepped the cast-metal parts? I would like to know the procedures for doing so, if I can save a lot. Just don't want to damage a hard-to-find part. Is there a resource for info on doing this? BTW, I made my own 4-barrel intake (out of a two), before I was aware Deepnhock sold them for a very reasonable price.. My not having access to mills, etc., resulted in hours of toil drilling and grinding to get it right! But, If I could prep my own pot metal parts and actually save, I would do so.

imported_n/a
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
N8n, if it is feasible to plate the spotweld-blemished covers and hae them look decent, I guess I will. The Packebaker will love having some chrome on the engine, too. And, Alan--you prepped the cast-metal parts? I would like to know the procedures for doing so, if I can save a lot. Just don't want to damage a hard-to-find part. Is there a resource for info on doing this? BTW, I made my own 4-barrel intake (out of a two), before I was aware Deepnhock sold them for a very reasonable price.. My not having access to mills, etc., resulted in hours of toil drilling and grinding to get it right! But, If I could prep my own pot metal parts and actually save, I would do so.

ddub
05-15-2006, 10:56 PM
I got rechromed bumpers on eBay from Chuck Kenney In MI. I paid his BIN price of $300 + about $50 shipping. I later saw some sell below that. I am satisfied with the bumpers and don't know that I could have gotten mine replated for any less.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

ddub
05-15-2006, 10:56 PM
I got rechromed bumpers on eBay from Chuck Kenney In MI. I paid his BIN price of $300 + about $50 shipping. I later saw some sell below that. I am satisfied with the bumpers and don't know that I could have gotten mine replated for any less.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

Alan
05-16-2006, 12:03 AM
You have to grind off the chrome or have it de-plated, then there is a weld rod for pot metal that you use a propane torch to weld the pits and to fill the dips. I buy mine from a guy at the Long Beach Hi-performance swap meet that is on the 2nd sunday of each month. If you are not near by I can give you the name and contact info for the rod.

Alan
05-16-2006, 12:03 AM
You have to grind off the chrome or have it de-plated, then there is a weld rod for pot metal that you use a propane torch to weld the pits and to fill the dips. I buy mine from a guy at the Long Beach Hi-performance swap meet that is on the 2nd sunday of each month. If you are not near by I can give you the name and contact info for the rod.

Transtar56
05-16-2006, 05:25 AM
My new bumpers for the 60 Hawk were 1000, but they are show quality.I can't remember exactly what all the other stuff cost,as its been a few years,but Zenith,the only chrome place in Atlantic Canada,will not do any piece untill they look at it first.They would just as soon not mess with pot metal at all,and may not even be able to give you an exact quote on some pieces as they don't know how many hours it will take.
Ive never had them ruin anything,and Ive got parts replated for a few Studebakers,but they have mistakenly filled in bolt holes,plated threaded studs,stuff like that.
My bumpers were good,but did need some welding in a few spots,and I just had the rear one done last year. When the new chrome started coming off late last fall,I took it back,and they re-did it to perfection(for free) did the front one,500.They blamed the chrome coming off on a bad employee they used to have,said they had to re-do everything he'd worked on.
Im lucky a previous owner had most of the pot metal re-plated before I got the car,its holding up well and looks great. The only piece on the car left to do is the big grille,and its still to nice to do,just a little dull compared to the rest.
When you look at the price of Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle chrome replacement parts,they don't seem that bad when you know what plating costs,but of course they work with all new stuff. I bought a new chrome dash to replace the flat black original for 120 bucks for example,a chrome clutch cover is around 100.
Remember,chrome won't get you home, but it does make your rig look prettier sitting on the side of the highway.

Transtar56
05-16-2006, 05:25 AM
My new bumpers for the 60 Hawk were 1000, but they are show quality.I can't remember exactly what all the other stuff cost,as its been a few years,but Zenith,the only chrome place in Atlantic Canada,will not do any piece untill they look at it first.They would just as soon not mess with pot metal at all,and may not even be able to give you an exact quote on some pieces as they don't know how many hours it will take.
Ive never had them ruin anything,and Ive got parts replated for a few Studebakers,but they have mistakenly filled in bolt holes,plated threaded studs,stuff like that.
My bumpers were good,but did need some welding in a few spots,and I just had the rear one done last year. When the new chrome started coming off late last fall,I took it back,and they re-did it to perfection(for free) did the front one,500.They blamed the chrome coming off on a bad employee they used to have,said they had to re-do everything he'd worked on.
Im lucky a previous owner had most of the pot metal re-plated before I got the car,its holding up well and looks great. The only piece on the car left to do is the big grille,and its still to nice to do,just a little dull compared to the rest.
When you look at the price of Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle chrome replacement parts,they don't seem that bad when you know what plating costs,but of course they work with all new stuff. I bought a new chrome dash to replace the flat black original for 120 bucks for example,a chrome clutch cover is around 100.
Remember,chrome won't get you home, but it does make your rig look prettier sitting on the side of the highway.

Blue 15G
05-16-2006, 06:19 AM
It's been about seven years now since I had the beltline mouldings replated on my '54 hardtop (7 pieces). It cost $300 then. Most came back looking good..not great but good. Except, the front center piece between the wipers was beat up and warped so much it looked like a part for an entirely different model of car. The pot metal is VERY hard to have plated successfully unless you pay the big bucks.

I got lucky (very lucky) and found a combination of NOS and good used for the other pieces on the car.

After reading all these posts, the 57-58 Scotsmans look better all the time!

Blue 15G
05-16-2006, 06:19 AM
It's been about seven years now since I had the beltline mouldings replated on my '54 hardtop (7 pieces). It cost $300 then. Most came back looking good..not great but good. Except, the front center piece between the wipers was beat up and warped so much it looked like a part for an entirely different model of car. The pot metal is VERY hard to have plated successfully unless you pay the big bucks.

I got lucky (very lucky) and found a combination of NOS and good used for the other pieces on the car.

After reading all these posts, the 57-58 Scotsmans look better all the time!

rocinante
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you all for your considered replies on this topic. Sounds like the prices have varied quite a bit. I guess I'll have to get a quote and then decide. Probably end up rechroming some things and replacing others I suppose.

Has anyone had any experience with Nu-Chrome in Fall River MA? Any recommendations for good chrome platers in the northeast would be welcome.

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks everyone for responding.

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5

rocinante
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you all for your considered replies on this topic. Sounds like the prices have varied quite a bit. I guess I'll have to get a quote and then decide. Probably end up rechroming some things and replacing others I suppose.

Has anyone had any experience with Nu-Chrome in Fall River MA? Any recommendations for good chrome platers in the northeast would be welcome.

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks everyone for responding.

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5

52ragtop
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Try Librandi's Plating in Middletown Pa. They do all of Harley Davidsons chrome for the York Pa. plant.
They are also "car guys" and make their bread and butter from Harley.
I have sent several pieces to them, and they come back great! Always a "10-12 week" turn around. it's alway been at 10 weeks or so. They are NOT cheap, BUT you get what you pay for, and pay for what you get! One plater I used in Indy, took over a year to do the front grille on my 52, looked good, but, a year?
phone 717-944-9442

Jim

52ragtop
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Try Librandi's Plating in Middletown Pa. They do all of Harley Davidsons chrome for the York Pa. plant.
They are also "car guys" and make their bread and butter from Harley.
I have sent several pieces to them, and they come back great! Always a "10-12 week" turn around. it's alway been at 10 weeks or so. They are NOT cheap, BUT you get what you pay for, and pay for what you get! One plater I used in Indy, took over a year to do the front grille on my 52, looked good, but, a year?
phone 717-944-9442

Jim

rockne10
05-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Mine was the eleventh post in this thread and I did not mention that LiBrandi's is where I sent mine and, if they can't do it, they recommend Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee.

rockne10
05-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Mine was the eleventh post in this thread and I did not mention that LiBrandi's is where I sent mine and, if they can't do it, they recommend Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee.

studehunter
05-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I have a 1954 Coupe thata I am waiting in the chrom to be finished as we speak. Yes there is a ton of trim on these wonderful cars. Most if which is pot metal. Are you sitting down? my estimate from Graves Custom Plating was between $5,000-$7,000 but you do not want to cut it short. I hope this helps.

I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to restore my 53 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe. One of the big costs will be chrome plating. I counted 29 pieces including the following, all requiring replating but in otherwise good shape (no pits or dents):
2 taillamps
2 grille shells
2 grille bars
2 bumpers
2 bumper guards
windshield molding
trunk handle

Can anyone give me a rough BALLPARK idea what rechroming all these pieces would cost? I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into here! [:0] Thanks for any comments! :)
Charles Schneider

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
[/quote]

studehunter
05-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I have a 1954 Coupe thata I am waiting in the chrom to be finished as we speak. Yes there is a ton of trim on these wonderful cars. Most if which is pot metal. Are you sitting down? my estimate from Graves Custom Plating was between $5,000-$7,000 but you do not want to cut it short. I hope this helps.

2 taillamps
2 grille shells
2 grille bars
2 bumpers
2 bumper guards
windshield molding
trunk handle

Charles Schneider

'60 Lark VIII
'50 2R5
[/quote]

Kdancy
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by rocinante

2 taillamps
2 grille shells
2 grille bars
2 bumpers
2 bumper guards
windshield molding
trunk handle

Charles Schneider

Charles, what did you wind up doing with your chrome work ?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8

Kdancy
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by rocinante

2 taillamps
2 grille shells
2 grille bars
2 bumpers
2 bumper guards
windshield molding
trunk handle

Charles Schneider

Charles, what did you wind up doing with your chrome work ?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8

dictator27
11-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, take a look at www.caswellplating.com. They supply all the necessary stuff to do your own dechroming, buffing, pot metal repairing and rechroming along with all kinds of other stuff. This way you have control over the quality of the job.

Terry
27 Dictator sedan
54 Commander hardtop

dictator27
11-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, take a look at www.caswellplating.com. They supply all the necessary stuff to do your own dechroming, buffing, pot metal repairing and rechroming along with all kinds of other stuff. This way you have control over the quality of the job.

Terry
27 Dictator sedan
54 Commander hardtop

Roscomacaw
11-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Terry,

Caswell's been around for quite some time - at least 15 years or more. If it was worthy of show chrome, it'd be BIG in the hobby. The fact that it's not is telling. Pot metal's NOT easy to plate - especially since so much of it is odd-shaped and the chrome doesn't just uniformly cover a piece like you'd like it to. It takes expertise that only comes from experience. Throw in the rare talent to fix, bent, cracked (and worst) PITTED stuff and you've got a recipie for frustration. PLUS, if you screw up your stuff (quite possible!) you're gonna be looking for replacements to take to a reputable plater anyways!:(

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
11-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Terry,

Caswell's been around for quite some time - at least 15 years or more. If it was worthy of show chrome, it'd be BIG in the hobby. The fact that it's not is telling. Pot metal's NOT easy to plate - especially since so much of it is odd-shaped and the chrome doesn't just uniformly cover a piece like you'd like it to. It takes expertise that only comes from experience. Throw in the rare talent to fix, bent, cracked (and worst) PITTED stuff and you've got a recipie for frustration. PLUS, if you screw up your stuff (quite possible!) you're gonna be looking for replacements to take to a reputable plater anyways!:(

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Kdancy
11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
It takes a lot of experience to be able to plate pot metal. So much variation in the metal itself. It is pretty easy to screw it up.

Kdancy
11-23-2006, 04:46 PM
It takes a lot of experience to be able to plate pot metal. So much variation in the metal itself. It is pretty easy to screw it up.

bonehead007
11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Took my Avanti air filter cover to Librandi. They claimed 8 weeks, took 12 due to Herehsey.Cost $140 & UPS. Did a fantastic job. Taking the bumpers to them as well. If Harley can trust them with their chrome, you can trust them with yours. Their right by Harrisburg PA Airport

bonehead007
11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Took my Avanti air filter cover to Librandi. They claimed 8 weeks, took 12 due to Herehsey.Cost $140 & UPS. Did a fantastic job. Taking the bumpers to them as well. If Harley can trust them with their chrome, you can trust them with yours. Their right by Harrisburg PA Airport

studegary
11-23-2006, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

They may do excellent work, but it looks to me like you are making an apples and oranges comparison. Chrome plating a used, and possibly pitted, pot metal piece from a 50 year old Studebaker and doing new, production work for Harley is not the same thing. If they screw up a Harley piece, they can just throw it away and do another. If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studegary
11-23-2006, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

They may do excellent work, but it looks to me like you are making an apples and oranges comparison. Chrome plating a used, and possibly pitted, pot metal piece from a 50 year old Studebaker and doing new, production work for Harley is not the same thing. If they screw up a Harley piece, they can just throw it away and do another. If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Dick Steinkamp
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Also, as Biggs has stated, there is a BIG difference between rechroming steel (air cleaner, bumper, etc.) and rechroming pot metal.

I've seen A LOT of pot metal ruined by good chrome platers. It takes a very special chrome plater to do pot metal. Very few around and they ain't cheap.

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Also, as Biggs has stated, there is a BIG difference between rechroming steel (air cleaner, bumper, etc.) and rechroming pot metal.

I've seen A LOT of pot metal ruined by good chrome platers. It takes a very special chrome plater to do pot metal. Very few around and they ain't cheap.

http://static.flickr.com/100/301465853_2dbe07b7c6_m.jpg
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

Challenger
11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

Challenger
11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

rockne10
11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
11-23-2006, 11:04 PM
They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

sbca96
11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
Impala SS site.

Tom

sbca96
11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
Impala SS site.

Tom

N8N
11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

N8N
11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

studehunter
11-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.

studehunter
11-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.