PDA

View Full Version : Steering Leaking Saginaw Steering Box

Studeguy61
04-24-2015, 12:44 PM
I have a 1961 Lark wagon with the Saginaw steering box. It has an aftermarket power steering unit that does not go to the box. I know this sounds silly, but the steering box will leak out all the 80-90 weight fluid in a day. I have checked the side plate cover and it is dry as a bone. The bottom seems to be dry also. I can't figure out where it is leaking from. I am wondering if I can fill it with chassis grease that is thicker and will that provide the needed lubrication. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

karterfred88
04-24-2015, 01:12 PM
"Aftermarket power steering unit"?? Do you mean it has a Bendix style assist added?? If you are using the semi liquid grease it would slow down, check the pitman arm for your "lost" 80 weight. Most likely coming out at that end. The power assist is separate from the box, it's just a manual Saginaw steering box. Can leak at the pitman shaft, end cover, input shaft or side cover with the adjuster bolt. Maybe the input seal is letting it go into the column cover?? Most likely place is the pitman arm shaft seal, but you should be able to see that on the back of the pitman arm? Post a picture of the gear, if it's not the Bendix style assist.

Studeguy61
04-25-2015, 02:30 PM
It is the Bendix style assist with the slave cylinder. I checked the pitman arm and that area is dry too. Maybe the end cover. Thanks for the help.

r1lark
04-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Studeguy, is there evidence that the lube is leaking out - a puddle on the floor? Or is it just disappearing?

Studeguy61
04-27-2015, 08:49 PM
It is leaking out. A large, 6 inch in diameter puddle in the morning after filling box with 80/90 oil.

JoeHall
04-27-2015, 09:22 PM
A leak that large should be easy enough to track down. Just fill the box up again, start at the drip point, and go upstream till you find the source.

karterfred88
04-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Yep, looks like a couple of cans of brake clean and a good light are in order. If not the side cover or pitman seal only place left to look is the worm adjuster cover. I don't think you can "reseal" that without taking the box out and apart. If I remember there is a seal inside there under the screw cap that holds/adjusts the worm shaft bearing but you can't get to it without screwing the cap all the way off--best not done in the car. Good luck!!