TRUNK HINGES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRUNK HINGES

The trunk hinges on my 1950 studebaker were different when I bought the car the first time in 1974. When closing the lid the driver's side seemed to work real good but the one on the passenger side always required lots more pressure to get it to start to close (break over). Then, when it would come on down it would make the opposite side of the lid rub on the fender and scratch the paint off. I didn't think about the hinges being different since the car shows no sign of being in a wreck or anything which would result in a hinge being replaced and with only about 75,000 miles on the car I cannot imagine that the trunk hinge would have worn out. Anyway in an effort back in the 80's to get it to work better, I drilled a new hole next to the oval one at the bottom of the hinge allowing me to reposition the hinge and it seemed to help with the rubbing a little. Now that I have the car back I want to get the trunk lid fixed so that when I get it painted this time that the paint will not be rubbed off as in the past.
    Anyway, I recently bought a replacement NOS hinge for passenger side, thinking that it was the wrong one, but when I was looking at it when I got it home, it was made just like the first one that didn't seem to be the right one. Now, I am wondering if the one on the driver's side is the wrong one-but, it worked so smooth and nice! The one that I chose to replace appears to have pat2228315 stamped into it and the NOS one has 17906 on it. The other one tht seemed to work fine on the driver's side does not appear to have any number on it. I suppose that I will need to take the NOS one back and exchange it for one to fit the driver's side and try that. After writing this "book" and your reading it, my question is has anyone else run into this type of thing with the hinges and does anyone have any ideas which I might be overlooking.

1950 2 timer
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

I would be sure that the hinges you have bought and are buying are the correct part number for the body style you have, starlight coupes, business coupes, sedans, convertibles take different ones.

Do NOT pay any attention to the manufacturers numbers on the units, as they are not Studebaker. Different years of MFG. and different vendors have different numbers that mean NOTHING!

Do not assume that either one you have are correct, go with a attached Studebaker part number tag that matches the Body Parts catalog, and buy 2 new ones! You will be very lucky to find BOTH sides.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would be sure that the hinges you have bought and are buying are the correct part number for the body style you have, starlight coupes, business coupes, sedans, convertibles take different ones.

Do NOT pay any attention to the manufacturers numbers on the units, as they are not Studebaker. Different years of MFG. and different vendors have different numbers that mean NOTHING!

Do not assume that either one you have are correct, go with a attached Studebaker part number tag that matches the Body Parts catalog, and buy 2 new ones! You will be very lucky to find BOTH sides.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X