coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil springs

I am reaching out to see if anyone could tell me the stock diameter and length of the coil springs for a 56 Golden Hawk. I have my suspicions that mine were changed or cut at sometime by a former owner. Any info would be appreciated.

IIRC they are about 14" tall, free standing, but yours are probably still installed. If it has the standard 56J springs (part #526124), it will probably sit low; no need to cut the coils. If it has the HD springs (526125) it will sit up nice and healthy, about 24-25" measured at the lower lip of the front fender, dissecting the axle. . For repro of either spring, google a place in Kansas called, "Coil Spring Specialties".

Comment

If you have your springs out, which you need to do to measure the unsprung height, you will be able to know exactly which springs you have because the Part Numbers Joe gave you should be stamped right on the Inside of the bottom Coil.

I have seen some on the Outside and also some on both ends.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Specs for the Moog CC655 spring with which many are replacing the stock spring [including 56J]:
        I.D. - 4.187"
        Bar Dia - .656
        Install Ht - 11"
        Free Ht - 13.63"
        "SHOULD" be the same dimensions as stock ?
        Dimensions from MOOG site.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys never dreamed I would recieve this much but that is why I come to the forum. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X