Aftermarket Jack for Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Jack for Hawk

I have the original bumper jack for the trunk, but that is just for show purposes. I wouldn't risk lifting the car with it and I certainly don't want it scratching up my freshly chromed bumpers. I am looking for recommendations for a jack I can carry with me to use if I have a flat on the road. My first thought was one of those little floor jack looking things that come in a plastic case. Unfortunately, Dad bought one for his 50 Champion and we decided to try it out in the shop to see if it was high enough. It wasn't, and to make matters worse, it broke after jacking it up a couple times. He took it back to Wally World and got his money back. I want something that will do the job, but I don't want a full size floor jack that is so heavy and hard to move around on dirt / grass.

So I thought I would ask here. I am guessing someone has found a decent product that will work for a C/K body. Also, would like a suggestion for a model that would work on a 50 Champion.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Wayne
    I felt the same as you do about using the bumper jack. What I did was got one of those small floor jacks, mine seemed to be OK as I have tried it several times. You are right that it won't go high enough as they come so I made an extension under the saddle to give it the height. I think about 3 inches. If you like I can take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. I checked out all small floor jacks and could not find one with enough lift either here in Canada or the USA.
    You also have to keep it low enough so that you can get it under the frame. I jack it under the front rear spring shackle and at the front under the shock mount.
    Nick

Comment

Wayne, Harbor freight has an aluminum 1-1/2 ton floor jack with a full length removable handle with foam padding on the lower handle. it is item number 96562. I have had mine several years, and it performs well. You could make a cloth case for it. It only weighs about 25 lbs. I just looked at their site--That model nla here is their info. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...num+floor+jack. 60569 seems to be the new item # Gordon
      Last edited by larkregal62; 04-23-2015, 04:05 PM. Reason: error

Comment

i have one similar to Gordon's floor jack. i also have this one that fits under the frame of my '51 Champion: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-h...ack-66450.html
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Some Studebaker models require you to scratch the bumper chrome because the body has to be lifted to get clearance to remove the rear wheels so you may have to carry two jacks.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

If you lift it under the Rear spring front Perch, it will lift the Body and Frame not the rear axle. Use a 4X4 for extra height.

The only safe option I know of except the small Floor Jack would be what is used for Pickups, A bottle Jack. At least they are small to carry in the trunk.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 4x4 is fine till you have one roll off whitch is why I prefer to double support the car with a floor jack under the front spring perch and the bumper jack. GM cars had a jack where the ratchet bar was horizontal and working the ratchet sisors the lift arm on the jack. I have one of these jacks in my 65 and it works fairly well but then it doesnt have to be lifted so high either.

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Here are a few shots of what I did for jack. As mentioned before these jacks won't go high enough to lift the rear wheels off the ground.
                I cut the saddle off the jack and welded a 1" pipe coupling to the top where the saddle was attached. I then made two new saddles. A short one with a 2" stem using the original pad and a long stemmed one 3 1/2" with a 1/4" x 4" disc. The stems are 1 1/4" diameter.
                I came up with these measurements by deflating the tires and measuring what would go underneath where I wanted the jack to go and also the height I needed to get the rear wheel off the ground. I found a vintage suitcase and carry the jack in it and second small one to match to carry a few essential tools in. They look perfectly correct in the trunk of my 56 Champion.
                By making these 2 new saddles so they attach solid instead of a piece of 4x4 I am assured that the block won't flip out on me when using the jack.
                Nick
                Click image for larger version

Name:	jack11.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1696362

Name:	jack2.JPG
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1696363

Name:	jack3.JPG
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1696364

Name:	jack4.JPG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1696365

Name:	jack5.JPG
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1696366

Comment

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about modifying the small jack. I will take a look at that vs. the harbor freight jack. Thanks for the responses.

Wayne
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

If you ha ve a pick a parts place maybe you can find one of these GM jacks. I keep this one in my 65.
                    Attached Files

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I put a cloth between the jack and the bumper. Though I still don't like jacking up off the bumper. Last time I discovered the bumper bracket was loose and the bumper moved. If you use the bumper jack with a cloth and a small hydraulic jack it works well. Using only the small hydraulic jack lifts the entire car so the clearance to pull the tire out between the fender and the drum doesn't change. I just changed my tires and I used the hydraulic jack to lift the entire car and then the bumper to raise the body away from the frame.
                      Jim Rostron

Comment

I've never had any problems getting a small hydraulic bottle jack under an "A: frame or rear axle spring clamp, although I have to admit I've never had a flat tire on the road in 10 years of driving my Hawk....

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
                          If you ha ve a pick a parts place maybe you can find one of these GM jacks. I keep this one in my 65.
                          Yep, I have one of those in each of the three Hawks' trunk. Works like a charm, front or rear.

Comment

Originally posted by njonkman View Post
                            Here are a few shots of what I did for jack. As mentioned before these jacks won't go high enough to lift the rear wheels off the ground.
                            I cut the saddle off the jack and welded a 1" pipe coupling to the top where the saddle was attached. I then made two new saddles. A short one with a 2" stem using the original pad and a long stemmed one 3 1/2" with a 1/4" x 4" disc. The stems are 1 1/4" diameter.
                            I came up with these measurements by deflating the tires and measuring what would go underneath where I wanted the jack to go and also the height I needed to get the rear wheel off the ground. I found a vintage suitcase and carry the jack in it and second small one to match to carry a few essential tools in. They look perfectly correct in the trunk of my 56 Champion.
                            By making these 2 new saddles so they attach solid instead of a piece of 4x4 I am assured that the block won't flip out on me when using the jack.
                            Nick
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]43078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43079[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43082[/ATTACH]
                            Well thought out, and I like your style.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

See #3. I also bought one of the H/F small aluminum 1 1/2 ton floor jacks to use on my 1950 Champion. It works great with no extra bocks needed. I can put it under the front crossmember and jack up both front wheels at the same time, or do the same at the rear axle. I left pressure on the jack overnight just to test it while it was still under warranty, and it held fine. I payed $69 during the sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X