Ideas before I go further - gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ideas before I go further - gauges

I have embarked on the huge task of removing the gauges from my 62 GT. The only ones that worked was the speedometer and oil pressure gauges. I tried re-grounding all the gauges and it did no good. Now that they are all out. I really would like to replace them with some standard 2 1/16 " gauges that are individually lit. I have read many previous threads on what some others have done. If I can find some small gauges that don't look too out of place I will go that route. The only problem I can see if I do that is by removing the light boxes, I will not have a way to clamp the gauge bezels to the front overlay. The brackets that clamp aftermarket gauges wont go down far enough to clamp the gauge and the bezel to the dash. I know this is hard to follow. If this needs clarification let me know.
    Thanks
    Tim
    sigpic
    Tim Johnston
    Collierville TN

So do the New S/W, Autometer etc., etc. Gauges not also have Light Windows, so you could keep the Boxes and plug the Socket & Bulb Holes in the Gauges?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ypu cpuld use a hole saw and some sheet metal and some snips and make some custom spacer washers.
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I installed a full set of stewart warner "Wings" guages in wifes '57 Hawk. Doofus

Comment

Check out Speedhut's offerings.

You can customize face color, font, needle, etc. to make them look virtually stock. A GPS speedo is available too.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have some old gauges I used for test fitting. It looks like most any of the aftermarket gauges fit. The problem is the bezel that goes around the pair of gauges on either side of the speedometer. This bezel uses a box attached to the back of the gauges to sandwich together the bezel , dash overlay and fiberglass dash together. If I go with any other gauge instead of the stock ones, the holes will not match up with the light box. Some of the holes in the box have a plastic insulator and others are just straight thru ground studs. My issue then becomes, I can't use the light box. I am hoping some of you creative guys have already tackled this issue on a GT hawk. As they say a picture us worth a thousand words.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_111205.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1696315Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_111239.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1696316Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_111315.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1696317Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1696318
            sigpic
            Tim Johnston
            Collierville TN

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

You can customize face color, font, needle, etc. to make them look virtually stock. A GPS speedo is available too.
              Good thought, I have the GPS speedo and matching tach in my 83 Avanti. Work fine and look good. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

I recently purchased Speedhut gauges for my 63 Wagonaire. I found a guy on ebay that makes custom aluminum rings that I will polish and use them behind the 4 1/2" Speedhut gauges to fit the 3 openings in my dash. I ordered red and they match my red interior very well. Nice quality gauges.
                Gary

Comment

Working...
                X