Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to buy my first Studebaker! Looking for a Wagon or Wagonaire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy my first Studebaker! Looking for a Wagon or Wagonaire.

Hello All,
    I am looking for a 1959-1964 Studebaker Lark Wagon or Wagonaire. Would like something turn key or close. Should be mechanically sound and a solid car. Not looking for a show car, I want a driver to have fun with. Manual transmission and V8 preferred.
    I am in the Toronto area of Ontario Canada. I would prefer to find something north of the boarder but would consider the right car if it is the States. I have a long family history with Studebakers so now I would like to own one for myself.
    Regards
    Les

Welcome Les. I am new to this forum myself, and don't even have a Studebaker. Someone with some first-hand knowledge should be along shortly.

Comment

sals54

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Les. These cars come up fairly often so you should not have a long wait to find what you want. In the meantime I would recommend you join the Studebaker Drivers Club International and find and join you local chapter. This will give you lots of resources, contacts and exposure. This Forum will be a great source for answers to questions, fun and general knowledge. There are even folks here who sold Studebakers back when there were still new ones, as well as former Studebaker factory employees. You can't get better than that. You will also have no trouble finding parts when you find your new ride.
        So, welcome aboard the wonderful world of Studebakers. Be sure to send us photographs when you land your car.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Welcome aboard Les. You have a long historical Studebaker background, being the grandson of long time Studebaker dealer Roy Graham. No wonder you'd like to have a Studebaker.

Stu Chapman

Comment

LOL. Nice welcome, Stu. Roy has helped many of us. How about finding the web page for the two Ontario SDC Chapters (Hamilton and Ontario chapters)? We are having our first meet of this year next Saturday (April 25?) at Badenoch, about 25 minutes west of you on the 401, turn south on #6, left at the first light and keep your eyes peeled to the right for a school house with neat cars in the lot. Cheers.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Wow thanks for the warm welcome! I have looked around at a few cars already but I haven`t one that price the condition made sense to me.
              I am actually looking for a wagon because I play upright bass in a Rockabilly band and I would love to have a wagon to take to my gigs. The bass won`t fit in many other cars. Besides the fact that I think the Wagon`s just look really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by lesgraham View Post
                Wow thanks for the warm welcome! I have looked around at a few cars already but I haven`t one that price the condition made sense to me.
                I am actually looking for a wagon because I play upright bass in a Rockabilly band and I would love to have a wagon to take to my gigs. The bass won`t fit in many other cars. Besides the fact that I think the Wagon`s just look really cool.
                All the more reason to buy a Wagonaire. You could carry the Bass in the stand-up position. If you join the SDC, membership comes with a subscription to our monthly magazine, Turning Wheels, which is an excellent source for classified ads. I can see a cover picture now of your Rockabilly band gathered around your new Wagonaire with you standing in the back of the car playing your bass.
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

LOL. That's why they import cheap double basses from China. I've seen a few double basses on roof racks in gig bags (even one on a VW Beetle). The only bass that fits in my 55 is the Rickenbacker 4001,....so I bought two of 'em. Good luck.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have a 1955 Kay upright bass so I the only way it will be on the roof rack is on a sunny day for a picture.
                    My dad has already joked about my bass up through the open roof!

Comment

I have been enjoying my Dad`s Turning Wheels for years!

Comment

I've had 61-64 larks and prefer the '63 by a long shot. They ride better, handle better, and the fit and finish is the best (in my limited experience). The Wagonaire with the slide roof is a gas to drive, however one has to be careful of the roof drains. One can even get the cardboard headliners again! The fixed roof has no problems whatever.
                        My preference is the late fifties cars because I'm over six feet. The Larks are just a bit tight for me. Also, the upholstery in the older cars sits one a touch higher. With my back issues this is important. The new cars that sit one practically on the floor are a real problem. For me, the Larks aren't a lot better.
                        So, to each their own. Best of all luck in finding your Lark.
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here you go in driving distance! http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4974448301.html

I know nothing about this wagon other than it looks Ok, but the rust issues would have to be checked out to see if anywhere near that price is correct for it's condition.

We have talked about this one before and noted a fair amount of rust that may be a reasonable fix and probably not, but the price would have to get real.

Minus for 6 Cyl.

Minus for Rust
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-17-2015, 12:42 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome. I believe there was a Lark wagon in the last Turning Wheels. I drooled over it a bit, looked like a good deal.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                              Welcome. I believe there was a Lark wagon in the last Turning Wheels. I drooled over it a bit, looked like a good deal.
                              Yeah, that 63 Wagonaire at $7000 looks like it should be checked out.
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X