Looking for new caretaker - 1963 Lark Daytona 2-door hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new caretaker - 1963 Lark Daytona 2-door hardtop

It's Spring and time to move a Lark to a new home. 1963 Daytona 2-door hardtop (63S5162) gold/black 6cyl automatic. Registered and running - when put away for the winter - haven't awakened it this spring yet. Fairly solid, but needs some rust repair in the normal spots, lf fender in front of door; atop lr quarter. Needs upholstery work and should get a repaint. If interested, PM me and come look, fairly priced at $5400. Too many projects, not enough time. Listing here before other places to give members first choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lark1e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1746752Click image for larger version

Name:	lark1d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1746753
    Last edited by hausdok; 04-17-2015, 05:42 AM.

And to think I sold a solid one that ran (289, PDB, AT, radio, etc.) for $60 in 1976...

Comment

Unfortunately, your price is much too high.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Whew,

I disagree, Bob. It's a good thing you don't have the last word on pricing in the world of Studebakers, or Frank might have had to send his car to China. He's priced the car at the low end of where it should be according to a couple of valuation guides I looked at so I'd have to agree that he's priced it "fairly."

It might be much too high for you, because you aren't looking for that particular model and aren't willing to pay that much for a car that you don't really have a hankering for; but it might be a bargain for some others who hang out here. We've seen lesser cars go for more and more cars go for less - it's really a matter of what the buyer is looking for and is willing to pay. You're a dealer. You know that.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Correct, Mike. I'm speaking as a dealer. Which means, constructive advice, even if it's not what somebody wants to hear.

This is a 6 cylinder, not an 8. It's an automatic, not a stick, which would be more desired with a 6. It needs rust repair, a paint job, and interior. Look at comparables that have actually sold: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Restored-/33...p2047675.l2557 How about one already restored for $7K: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Restored-/33...p2047675.l2557 Or a little closer comp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-6...p2047675.l2557 Or, how about the R1 Cruiser currently listed that as of this writing still can't hit $3K?

I deal in facts and reality- not emotions and wishes. That just doesn't work. Were you not so quick to jump in whenever I post, you would realize that. And were you neutral, as a moderator is supposed to be, you would understand that my opinion is coming from a helping standpoint. But, it is what it is.
          Last edited by hausdok; 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed his paragraphs since he wanted them fixed
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Apologies for the run-on sentence. I never write it that way, but this is the only forum I know of that disregards paragraphs.
            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

S'funny,

I didn't realize that I jump in whenever you get on here. You aren't exactly on my radar of the folks whose posts I do follow attentively. Is there a reason that moderators aren't allowed to have their own opinions here? The answer is no.

You don't have to get defensive. I'm not attacking you or picking on you. I don't profess to be an expert at pricing Studebakers and I'm not a dealer; but I am allowed to disagree with your assessment if I want to - it's as simple as that.

I do spend a lot of my time though, checking into Studes for sale all across the country on behalf of one of our overseas brethren; and, I can tell you with sincerity that compared to a lot of what's out there for sale right now, this car is, as I said before, in my opinion fairly priced.

By the way, I don't have a problem with paragraphs. Perhaps if you check your settings?
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

There are a lot of price guides out there. I've always thought VMR runs closest to reality, though I'm not in the biz, as Bob is. What do you think of this thumbnail, Bob?

VMR Collector Car Market Review Value Report
                1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona 259-180hp (8cyl-2V) AT
                #5 #4 #3 #2 #1
                2dr Convertible 1300 4850 8800 13925 22700
                2dr Hardtop 775 2775 5700 10800 16200
                4dr Wagon 950 2900 6150 9400 16950

Add:
                289-210hp (8cyl-2V) 5%
                4spd manual trans 5%
                Air conditioning 10%
                Folding sunroof 20%
                Deduct:
                170-112hp (6cyl-1V) -5%
                3spd manual transmission -10%
                3spd manual trans w/od -5%
                Manual steering -2%

Comment

So, what number is this car? On the info given it looks to me to be between a 3 and a 4, more towards 3. Of course I am no expert, just curious. That is why I asked.

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I feel the need to step in and support Bob A. on this.

Of course you can find Studebakers priced all over the place. Those are just asking prices, not real world sales.

As far as price guides, I remember what the owner of the dealership that I was working in about 55 years ago told me - "You don't see hundred dollar bills falling out of that NADA guide."

I have bought and sold at least hundreds of cars, including more than 50 Studebakers.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, Gary. It carries weight coming from someone else experienced in the business.
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          I feel the need to step in and support Bob A. on this.
                          The more I read, the more I think Bob A. is looking at the price is too high from a resellers standpoint; not from someone who really wants to keep and restore, which is who the seller of it is targeting.

Craig

Comment

No, Craig, merely from the perspective of the amount of money one can reasonably expect a buyer to actually lay on the table so the seller can achieve the presumed goal of getting the vehicle sold. A dealer would pay a little less. And maybe just the right buyer buying with his/her emotions, will pay more.

A seller can be motivated (need quick cash, illness, etc.) and take less to get a quick sale. He can spend several months marketing the vehicle in multiple ways holding out for top dollar. Or, he can set a price that is completely unrealistic with no chance of selling it.

Unfortunately, here is a scenario I've seen too often: Guy has a car that he thinks is worth a lot more than it is. He puts it on the market, and gets no takers. In lieu of researching what the market will actually bear, he becomes obstinate and says something to the effect of 'well, I think it's worth 'X', and before I'll take any less it will sit there and rot'. And true to his word, that is exactly what happens. Then a viable car deteriorates needlessly. Believe me, I've seen it happen too often.

As always, for someone trying to get a legitimate value on their car, I recommend eBay. Do a quality listing with an honest assessment of the car, with clear pictures of all areas of interest, particularly rust areas. Make it a seven day listing, with the ending time to be early evening on a Sunday in the time zone where it is located. Set it up to start with an opening bid of $100-$200, and with a reserve that is the minimum dollar you think you can live with. At the end of seven days, you will have either sold it, or for a relatively low amount you will have gotten an excellent market appraisal for the current time period. Alternatively, one can list it with a sale price, with the option for buyers to make their best offer. I recommend the first option because at least a seller will have a dollar amount that the world's largest market place says it is worth.

I became way more invested in this thread than I had ever intended. My purpose is to try to educate. I love the hobby, and I hope that occasionally I do something to help advance it. Admittedly, not everyone will agree; and not everyone truly wants to help. But smarmy comments intended to make me look like I'm trying to be hurtful towards a seller are unfair. No, I am not the 'last word' on values. I never claimed to be. But, surprisingly, I am also not the devil incarnate ??
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The real fact of the matter is that everything is worth what someone will pay We can discuss prices and valuation until the cows come home, and, objectively, everyone's arguments hold some water. But the only opinion that really matters is that of the buyer and seller who come to an ultimate agreement.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X