New Forum Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum Policy

In case you haven't noticed there is a new forum policy to "Keep the peace", highlighted at the top of the page. Curious about members thoughts on this issue, I posted mine.

I'll post mine here also from above.
    I'm not adverse to the changes but I'm a bit unclear about what constitutes an insult. I can go through a lot of posts that have "insults" that are nothing more than a jab or banter among friends while those same comments would set off a number of members that don't share the same thoughts. To me, the slope has gotten very slippery and can stifle a major reason a lot of us value the general interactions as they have been historically on the forum.

I've said previously that I'm impressed with the job the moderators have done but to me, this is a bit of an over-reaction to an almost insignificant problem. The hammer has been there to use previously and it, indeed, has been used.

It now seems that instead of having an adult interchange we will now be looking over our shoulders to see who has their shorts in a knot.
    Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM.

Right, Bob; I'm glad my name isn't Jim. It sounds like he's been up to no good! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Oh, cool - now that I know the rules, I can carefully choose two insults to throw out there every 20 days, right?
      JUST KIDDING! I haven't been on here long enough to have really noticed problems, so have no real opinion on this. I appreciate members' helpfulness, and if there's been bad behavior, it musta slipped by me.

Comment

Were you never told to, "Play nicely," by your parents when you were a kid? Or, was asking that insulting???

Comment

Awwwww what's the Fun in that? LOL

Comment

I'll sell my points to the bad boys....
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

LOL Jeff, I'll trade my points for Stude parts!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                I'm a bit unclear about what constitutes an insult
                Bob, thanks for asking the question.

An insult is just that - an insult. We're not talking about a friendly toss among friends; what we mean is an active adversarial exchange. Calling someone an idiot because of their opinion, or making a post specifically meant to antagonize and stir up trouble... those are insults.

This policy isn't meant to be a big downer - it's meant to put in writing what the Moderators' reasonable actions will be when the line is crossed, and clarify the result so there's no doubt. In the past, we've acted in what we thought was a considered manner when tempers flared. But some folks have felt that our handling of these issues was less than consistent -- so this policy is meant to put consistency in place.

I'd say that 99.999% of our members know how to comport themselves. We're a good, polite bunch of guys and gals; our mommas raised us right I don't expect any increase in moderator actions as a result of this new system, and, in fact, I think that more clearly-defined consequences for "not playing nicely" will actually result in our having to step in less.

Go forth, and Studebake!
                (Hey, I just invented a verb, there )

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Religin, no problem, I don't have any.
                  Politics, no problem, I hate politics. What's the meaning of the word "politics"..? Poli = many, tics = blood suckers = many blood suckers.

Insults...that may be a bit difficult for me. I've been told that some of my posts are insulting...even though that was NOT my direct intention. Can I be a little curt, occasionally, can I be a little direct, sure.

So I guess I can expect points to be comming my way..!?

Mike

Comment

Would pointing out factual errors or inconsistencies and discrepancies between posts by an individual be considered an insult?

Comment

Well. I agree there needs to be attention brought this situation, but to be quite honest I am not sure those who are the most guilty of stuff like this don't really know they are doing something that is not proper or polite. Good luck to our monitors in their quest to make this a better place.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                        I've been told that some of my posts are insulting...even though that was NOT my direct intention. Can I be a little curt, occasionally, can I be a little direct, sure. So I guess I can expect points to be comming my way..!?
                        Mike, rest easy. I'm not talking about accidental ruffling of feathers; I'm talking about intentional name-calling and rude behavior. I have a hard time imagining you being guilty of either of these things!

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                        Would pointing out factual errors or inconsistencies and discrepancies between posts by an individual be considered an insult?
                        Gary, if you see a technical error (like someone posting the wrong assembly sequence for a differential), then I'd hope you'd gently correct it. But if the intent is to "poke the bear" and rile up someone you're at odds with just to get a rise out of them -- well, it's not an insult, but it sure is provocative behavior, and that might merit an infraction. We need more firemen, and less firebugs - if you know what I mean.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

[QUOTE=showbizkid;914902
                          Go forth, and Studebake!
                          (Hey, I just invented a verb, there )[/QUOTE]

I have just one question..

Is it legal or appropriate to Studebake in public ?

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                            I have just one question..

Is it legal or appropriate to Studebake in public ?
                            Might fall into the politics arena
                            1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk (289)

Comment

Originally posted by DocHemi View Post
                              Might fall into the politics arena
                              I think Studebaking in public is almost a necessity. Maybe chapters could also hold a public Studebake sale in local community center. Ok, now back to the real topic.
                              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                              X