Illuminated switches in Hawks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illuminated switches in Hawks?

I was perusing the September 2007 Turning Wheels the other day. For fun I started reading the factory issued ad sheet on p. 29. In part, this is what it says:

"Neatly arrayed on the distinctive engine-turned facing are tachometer, speedometer, sweep second clock (optional), vacuum manifold pressure, gas, ammeter, oil pressure and engine temperature gauges. Directly below are the aviation-type toggle switches and ignition switch...each individually illuminated for maximum visibility and quick positive use. (italics mine)

Well, every Hawk I've ever seen has the NON illuminated aluminum name plaques above each switch, which provide maximum invisibility at night for slow and fumbling response. That's how they are in my 62 GT.

So do 1958 Golden Hawks have this feature that no other Hawk has? Is this a case of botched oversight by the advertising department, or is this blatant false advertising?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Well, some cars did have illuminated ignition switches. They had a little bulb in the top if the switch retainer ring. (The thing with START stamped into the bottom). Can't say that I've ever seen any illuminated Hawk dash switches though.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well, some cars did have illuminated ignition switches. They had a little bulb in the top if the switch retainer ring. (The thing with START stamped into the bottom). Can't say that I've ever seen any illuminated Hawk dash switches though.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I think they got their words out of place somehow. They were referring to the Individually (sorta) illuminated GAUGES! They didn't mean to include both the latter and the former items! [B)]

We have seen before where the advertising Company "lost things" in the communication from the Sales Dept. at Studebaker, who hopefully got it correct from design and Manufacturing! [8]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think they got their words out of place somehow. They were referring to the Individually (sorta) illuminated GAUGES! They didn't mean to include both the latter and the former items! [B)]

We have seen before where the advertising Company "lost things" in the communication from the Sales Dept. at Studebaker, who hopefully got it correct from design and Manufacturing! [8]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X