Studebaker NAVY Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker NAVY Trucks

I have visited fellow SDC member John Lassiter in Lebanon Oregon several times and had a chance to examine his son's 3/4 ton former U.S. Navy 4-wheel driver Studebaker truck. It is a very nice piece of machinery. It got me wondering how many of these trucks the Navy purchased and how many are left.
    Anybody out there have any former Navy Studebakers?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Shh... be very very quiet. I'm hunting for one and I done want people to know they exist.

My opinion is they did not make enough.

Len

Comment

you mean like this one.
      napco marmon herrington international travelall suburban 1956 ford 1957 1959 1960, Studebaker (Automobile Company), Napco Four Wheel Drive Vehicles, Truck (Automotive Class), Automobile (TV Genre), Automotive Industry (Industry)
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

They made 65 of them,

Craig

Comment

They are rare. I had notes saying 60 but wont argue, it could have been the 65 8E45E quotes. I know of 2 on the market currently but feel both are overpriced for whats there. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

The U.S. Navy order 4X4 Trucks were not 1959 Studebaker Deluxes were they?
            Wouldn't they be some other year when they were Transtars?

There are a few survivors of the "other Navy Order" Trucks, the '62 or '63 E40 {Box Vans?} with the tow hooks.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              That is Marks Truck From CA! Not a Navy Truck But a Original 59 3/4 Ton 6 Cyl That was a Demonstrator & went up Capitol State steps by itself in granny Low no one in it!
              Tks Bill Fowler / Solo Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The U.S. Navy order 4X4 Trucks were not 1959 Studebaker Deluxes were they?
                Wouldn't they be some other year when they were Transtars?
                They were actually made in calendar year 1960, which would make them a 1960, even though they are given a '4E' designation. As per the production order, specific instructions called for the upholstery to be 'cut to 1960 pattern'.

Craig

Comment

NAVY 4 x 4's

Heres my 1960 Navy Truck Yes 65 made & all were ordered same V-8'S no Deluxes! Deal done too late so they were 1959 models but had to be registered as 1960'S & the only 4 X 4 's made in 1960 One post said over priced????? Rare!!! If you had one & someone wanted to buy it I bet not cheap as they are very nice to own! My Truck has 28K original miles was originally Navy Gray but guy who bought off Fallon NV Naval Base painted it red! Tks! Bill Fowler / Hot Rods Plus
                  Attached Files

Comment

STUDE 4 x 4 'S

I Also own a 1959 Deluxe 3/4 Ton V-8 & again the word Rare is talked a lot when referring to Stude 4 x 4's ! This the only Black 3/4 ton 4 x 4 made in 1959 I would say Rare!! Also has the 19 1/2 inch wheels on it that were a option! I just may sell this one as it needs restored & I'm getting old! PS it will be overed priced to some & a good deal to someone who wants to own a Stude 4 x 4! My email is mtnmanbf@aol.com ! Tks Bill Fowler / Hot Rods Plus
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mtnmanbf View Post
                      Heres my 1960 Navy Truck Yes 65 made & all were ordered same V-8'S no Deluxes! Deal done too late so they were 1959 models but had to be registered as 1960'S & the only 4 X 4 's made in 1960 One post said over priced????? Rare!!! If you had one & someone wanted to buy it I bet not cheap as they are very nice to own! My Truck has 28K original miles was originally Navy Gray but guy who bought off Fallon NV Naval Base painted it red! Tks! Bill Fowler / Hot Rods Plus
                      Bill, your 4X4's are sweet, as is the rest of your collection! Enjoy all the pic's! As far as over priced rare vehicles, there is this very rare 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that I would like to have... the problem was the guy wanted something like 27 million for it or some crazy thing (way over priced) or should I say... I don't have that kind of money. In the end it's all the same; I'll never own one.
                      sigpic1959 4E2D 498 Studebaker Scotsman 4X4

http://www.napco4x4.org/gallery/m80-...-protype1.html

Comment

Tks 4Hawks!!!

Here is some info I have & I think all were made the same & 1/2 tons Short Beds So the first post says 3/4 ton may not be a Navy truck but I could always be wrong!
                        Tks Bill @ Solo Speed Shop

"The 65 U.S. NAVY 4E7D-112-C2's trucks were all built from the same U.S. government contract and all of the trucks had consecutive serial numbers. However, all 65 units were built in the 1960 model year and now, in civilian mode, most are registered as 1960 models, not as 1959's. During 1958-1959 model years, Studebaker built 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton 4X4 trucks on the C-cab chassis. With the new T-cab trucks, introduced for the 1960 model year, Studebaker only built 1 ton 4X4's through 1964 on the C-cab chassis, thereby, eliminating the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks after 1959 (for domestic sale). The U.S. Navy wanted 1/2 ton trucks and got them on contact from Studebaker after the 1959 model run had ended. Studebaker was flexible!"

Comment

That is Marks Truck From CA! Not a Navy Truck But a Original 59 3/4 Ton 6 Cyl That was a Demonstrator & went up Capitol State steps by itself in granny Low no one in it!
                          Tks Bill Fowler / Solo Speed Shop
                          Wow! Granny low. You can't walk that slow. The one-ton six-cylinder 4wd I had would start out in high in low range. Have it idling, put it in low, 4th, pop the clutch and it would walk away without any hesitation or bucking.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This the only Black 3/4 ton 4 x 4 made in 1959 I would say Rare!!
                            I wonder if this '59 Scotsman 4X4 was originally all black in color. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=4e3d

Craig

Comment

Could have been there were 3 Scotsman Blk But Only One 3/4 ton Deluxe Blk Made!

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I wonder if this '59 Scotsman 4X4 was originally all black in color. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=4e3d

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X