Looking for Cable Cleaning Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Cable Cleaning Tips

I am ready to re-install the heater control, speed-o, OD and E-brake cables. I was looking at them tonight and they really need a good clean and polish before I put them back in the Hawk. The best idea I have come up with is to clean them up with the wire wheel I have installed on my bench grinder.

Does anyone have a better method that would be quicker?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Wayne

I avoid using the wire wheel on anything like cables and housings. You haven't lived until one gets caught in the wheel and chases you around. It will let you know how your reflexes are however. I'd probably use coarse steel wool and oil. If you want to use a wheel, get a small one for a hand drill and put the cable in a vise. You could do small section close to the vise but I wouldn't even try that personally.

Bob

Comment

agree with "SOB". after a good wipe down, maybe a spray of WD-40 to get any of the dirt/rust that might have fallen into the cable area.

to keep the moisture out - wipe, rinse, repeat.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Try some ATF and brass wool. The brass version of steel wool will not cause problems later. The chemicals in ATF will clean or loosen anything.
        ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Your idea to "clean up" the exterior of the cable will only accomplish "cleaning up" the exterior; cosmetic at best. What you want to do, perhaps not on the speedo cable but, at least on the OD and "E" brake cables is to maximize their original function. That means freeing the wire that goes through the core. Soak internally with solvent, WD40, PB-Blaster, acetone, brake fluid, whatever; constantly working the cable core back and forth untill it is as loose as when it left the factory. If you are striving for appearance, you can then do a wipe with "Final-Clean" or similar product and give it a spray with a cold zinc aerosol. Your interior soak will maintain the cable lubricity. Good for another twenty years!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Go with this. jimmijim
            Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Your idea to "clean up" the exterior of the cable will only accomplish "cleaning up" the exterior; cosmetic at best. What you want to do, perhaps not on the speedo cable but, at least on the OD and "E" brake cables is to maximize their original function. That means freeing the wire that goes through the core. Soak internally with solvent, WD40, PB-Blaster, acetone, brake fluid, whatever; constantly working the cable core back and forth untill it is as loose as when it left the factory. If you are striving for appearance, you can then do a wipe with "Final-Clean" or similar product and give it a spray with a cold zinc aerosol. Your interior soak will maintain the cable lubricity. Good for another twenty years!
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't too happy about using the wire wheel due to possibility of it grabbing, hence this post. I have already taken care of the functionality of the cables. They now all move nice and smooth. This is all about appearance at this point. I like the idea of cleaning it up and spraying it with galvanizing compound. Sounds a lot quicker and easier than cleaning it on a wire wheel.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

My recommendation is to commence by removing the actual cable from its housing whenever possible, inspect it and the housing for damage (replacing same as found), then soak the housing--completely submerged and filled--in an appropriate solvent/degreaser and finally a deruster (if necessary) of your choice as long as necessary to get the results you desire. After all is clean (and, you've used BRASS-wool with elbow-grease as necessary), blow all off and out with compressed air. Allow to dry and blow it out again... from the opposite direction. Finally, get real cable-lube to use on the cables. Do not believe the "kids" in the parts stores that don't sell it who will quickly tell ya that options "A"-"Z" are just as good because... it's not. If you search here you will find many have a personal fave lube for whatever reasons and they may or may not be fine, but why not use what is designed for the job? If nothing else you can order it online. Such lube is all I've ever used and never had an issue... not once. All the best.

Comment

Working...
                X