Stude-related Roy Orbison content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude-related Roy Orbison content

Browsing through my collection, I noticed that on the cover of Roy's 1967 album "Cry Softly Lonely One", The Man is riding in a spiffy new Excalibur roadster

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3451.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1746678

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Neato! Roy Orbison is one of the truly great talents of rock music...unfortunately little known among the younger crowd today. His influence was profound...just ask Springsteen and he'll tell you. He had a life full of tragedies and died far too soon.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I agree with Gunslinger! I had every one of his records.
      Last edited by redbox; 04-09-2015, 02:42 AM.
      Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
      '14 Boxster
      '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
      '37 Dictator Coupe
      '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

I wonder if the car was Roy's - he certainly looks at home behind the wheel!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If you don't have Roy Orbison: Black & White Night CD/DVD, get it!

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
            If you don't have Roy Orbison: Black & White Night CD/DVD, get it!
            That is one outstanding show! A lot of rock celebrities were there to play with Roy as well as in the audience. At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame celebration for their 25th Anniversary several years back, Bruce Springsteen gave Orbison much deserved credit and recognition.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Who can forget, "Pretty Woman?" BP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk
              Last edited by BobPalma; 04-09-2015, 04:18 AM. Reason: added link
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Who can forget, "Pretty Woman?" BP
                Or "Only the Lonely" and "Blue Bayou" and "Leah" but you get the picture.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Jeff Lynne (Of ELO fame) produced a couple of Roy's last albums and brought his career out of the doldrums.
                  Roy was also an active member of the Traveling Wilburys.
                  That lil' group had Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Don't forget, he also did "I Drove All Night"...long before Cyndi Lauper or Celene Dion. A great driving song.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

don't forget his "later" work with the "Traveling Wilburys" with George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8s9dmuAKvU

EDIT: slow at typing/posting again!
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Roy owned at least one Excalibur, along with Adam West, Phyllis Diller and many other celebrities.

Chris.

Comment

My favorite singer. I have read two biographies about Roy.
                            One of his biographies said his wife bought him a 1926 Studebaker for his 26th birthday. I have often wondered if it was lost in his home fire when he lost his sons.
                            Anyone know?
                            Gary Sanders
                            Nixa, MO

Comment

Roy Orbison is amazing. Listened to him while assembling my Avanti in the 70's. Still listening while assembling the Avanti I have now.
                              sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X