new suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new suspension

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I am in the process of building a 53 Champion for LSR on the Bonneville Salt Flats and feel the need to upgrade the front suspension and steering as the target speed for this project is 200mph plus. I hope there is someone out there with experience to give some support and guidence. I am concidering maybe camaro upper and lower A arms, spindles and disk brakes but this project is in its infancy so I'm open for other set ups as well. There is a sense of urgency as I can only devote my time in the winter and this has to be ready for Speed Week in August. Thanks Scott.

Welcome to the Forum! Don't worry, you won't offend too many here. [8D]

I don't know much about what you want to know, but I will say that it sounds like a VERY cool project! Good luck, and be sure to keep us updated with the build and how it all pans out!

Again, welcome! [^]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Matthew, Just to clarify my needs; this car does not have to corner well but the steering system must be "tight" as a little wandering can cause skid marks or worse a full load in my tidy whities . Scott.

Comment

Try these guys...

I don't think they are going that fast, but I'm sure they will be helpful. Great guys.

Why did you choose a '52 "barn door" rather than a slippery '53?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I'm new to the Studebakers. Mine looks alot like yours so mabe I have given the wrong year, thanks for the tip! Scott.

Comment

Here's a '52. Completely different styling from a '53.

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That Land Cruiser must be the export model; RHD. Still, the '52 was much less a barn door than the other brands that year.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There has been quite a few Studes run at Bonneville with the stock
                suspension underneath, just rebuild whats worn and spend your money
                on the engine to get it up to 200. Dont blow your wad on things not
                needed to make that goal. Studebakers dont have ANY problems going
                in a straight line, its when you want them to corner - they fight.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Fasterscooter

Dick, the # on the block is 1554641 also there is an aluminum tag with #1558833 bolted to the block in the same area. Could I get Art's contact info, it sounds like he could be of great help. My last 2 buids were a C3 and C4 so I may even recognize some of those parts. Scott
                  That looks like a RAISED CASTING NUMBER. We'll need the STAMPED number. Drivers side of the top front of the block.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I made a mistake, it is a "slippery" 53, as for the rebuild of the existing steering and suspension I am concerned after I spend $ on the old technology and I continue to push this car well beyond the 200 mark I will have to make the change in the front suspension, steering, braking and rear braking systems (the rear end is a franklin quickchange with disks)and not realize any savings. As a result of this project I have champion parts available including what is thought to be an avanti v-8, transmission, front and rear seats in vgc, and many more. Tom, you may want to reconsider the 5 speed tko, I put two of these in two different projects and have had trouble with 3rd gear in both, it goes in hard. I bought the second one on the promise the problem was fixed. Not the case. If I decide to go with the rebuild where will be my best source of new parts? Thanks for your time, Scott.

Comment

If it was a Champion, it wouldn't have a V8. Champion=6 cylinder, Commander=8 cylinder for that year (unless of course somebody did a transplant at some point). Post the serial number of the engine and we can tell you what it is. It will be a STAMPED number at the left (drivers) front top of the motor.

Studebaker parts are available from these guys...

The Stude front suspension is good, but quite frankly, I wouldn't be in a Stude with the stock front suspension at anything close to 200 [V]. In fact, I'd be changing EVERYTHING except the basic shape of the body if I wanted to go that fast.

Check out the Vintage Air '53 for an example.

Art Morrison makes a nice aftermarket chassis for the '53 including a full C5 suspension. Might be worth a look for some ideas also.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, the # on the block is 1554641 also there is an aluminum tag with #1558833 bolted to the block in the same area. Could I get Art's contact info, it sounds like he could be of great help. My last 2 builds were a C3 and C4 so I may even recognize some of those parts. Scott

Comment

ude front suspension is good, but quite frankly, I wouldn't be in a Stude with the stock front suspension at anything close to 200

I with you on that

Comment

On the driver's side top front of the block there is a machined smooth area with what appears to be a very small (3/16 inch) 3 leaf clover stamped on it.

Comment

I have one of these "clover leaf" bocks in my '55 pickup. It's probably a heavy duty 289 factory "replacement block." Does yours have an oil filter? If so, where is it? Up top next to the oil fill tube or down below on the passenger side?

Comment

Working...
                              X